• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 10, 2020

    Yoga: [COMP] king pigeon is my favorite pose! Any pointers would be appreciated

    Yoga: [COMP] king pigeon is my favorite pose! Any pointers would be appreciated


    [COMP] king pigeon is my favorite pose! Any pointers would be appreciated

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 03:25 PM PDT

    So upset and need to share

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 06:41 PM PDT

    So, I just walked out of a yoga class and I cannot believe the experience I just had.

    Full disclosure, I have practiced for almost two decades, have taught for years, although I am not now because I had an (unrelated to yoga) injury about a year and a half ago and have fallen out of both practice and shape since. I'm originally 200RYT, trained in vinyasa and kripalu styles, and have since become certified in yin, restorative and nigra. I have taken anatomy and physiology at a local community college since my training, in order to expand my knowledge.

    For the last three weeks I have finally been feeling back to myself and have been been much more active than usual.

    There are number of yoga classes at my gym, and I was excited to try some of them out and get back into a regular practice. I practice at home and it feeds my soul, but love the community of yoga as well and thought going to regular classes would keep me on track, and that I would work cardio into my routine while at the gym.

    This is not in any way a commentary on yoga in gym settings; the best teacher I have ever had was in a warehouse gym, and began me on my journey, I've had many great classes in gyms and taught in a gym setting myself.

    Both of my negative experiences happened in "flow" classes - both of these classes are taught by teachers, who, in their bio, identify as Iyengar-inspired. This made me trepidatious as I have a hypermobility disorder and have had teachers for whom classic form is most important make me feel unsafe in the past. However, I figured it's a gym setting, which can translate to a different variety of practitioners than a studio setting typically has, so classic form, I thought, would be less likely to be a focus, and besides I know how to keep myself safe regardless. I figured I'd opt out of adjustments when asked, and I felt so excited to be getting back into a rhythm that I'd go for it.

    The first class, the teacher did not ask the practitioners about adjustments. At some point, she came over and tried to move me deeper into a pose by moving my hips, which is where my injury occurred. I smiled and said thank you but shook my head, she continued to try to move me and I said, no I'm good. She threw her hands up as she moved away from me, and about five minutes circled back to me and KICKED MY FOOT to move it to where she thought it should be. I was shocked and class after that went by in a blur.

    I did not return to the class this past weekend.

    This class tonight was even worse. I absolutely cannot believe this happened. At some point, this (different) teacher came over to me and told me to use a block in triangle pose, and then circled back to me to say, did you just sigh when I told you to use a block? And I said, excuse me? She said, it seemed like you sighed when I told you to use a block, that is completely disrespectful to my teaching.

    And perhaps I had, the class was advertised as Flow Yoga II but 45 minutes in, we had done nothing but a few poses, occasionally having to stop to watch her demonstrations, and she had talked the whole time, entirely about anatomy. It was not my cup of tea for a class that began at quarter to 8 at night, information overload plus very little flowing happening. I honestly have no idea if I sighed, it was 8:30 at night at that point, I was tired, but I did use the damn block. I do not believe I was rude, and even if I was, her response as the facilitator was entirely inappropriate. I was in shock that she stopped class to confront me.

    At that point, I said, I am very uncomfortable with how you're speaking to me right now. She replied well when you're disrespectful to my teaching I will say something and walked back to the front of the room.

    I cleaned my shit and I walked out. I have never walked out of a class in the many years I've practiced. I cannot believe this woman just stopped her class to chastise me for apparently SIGHING??!! There were only four other people in the class and this was not discreet in any way; she called me out in front of the class - for sighing, which I didn't even realize I was doing. It was humiliating, alienating and completely unnecessary.

    Where is the peace and alignment in body and mind in a response like this???

    While I was cleaning my stuff, she made no effort to address me then to have me stay in class. She did not care about my experience.

    My least favorite thing about the Western yoga world is just how much EGO there is.

    What I'm most upset about, is that if ether of these classes were my first introduction to yoga, I probably would have never tried it again. I worry for the folks who have this kind of experience as their first for a practice that is beautiful and so rewarding. How many people do bad teachers alienate?

    I just don't understand teachers like this. We are lucky to be able to share this practice, and we should treat each practitioner with respect.

    Thank you for reading my rant.

    I also find, in this post-MeToo era, classes where it is not made clear by the practitioners if they are ok with adjustments, disconcerting. I have always asked folks to raise a leg in downdog to let me know their preference. One studio near me has what are basically clothespins for student to clip to the back of their mats, another studio has mats with distinct markings on one side and has students use those to show their preferences. I think these are great ideas.

    What do you guys think about adjustments?

    I'm all over the place and I apologize, and thank you for reading. I didn't have anyone to reach out to at the moment that would get it. I did give feedback to the front desk and someone is going to follow up with me. I am just really upset and I needed to reach out to a yoga community to remember that this is not the norm. I honestly cannot believe that just happened.

    Love to you all

    Namaste ❤️

    submitted by /u/Lunelle327
    [link] [comments]

    This is going to sound weird but do you ever struggle to NOT practice?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 08:53 AM PDT

    I know most people want to get to this stage but I don't like it. When I don't practice my heads fuzzy, I'm not as calm, I find it harder to make decisions and just generally don't feel as much joy. However, I know it's important to have a break at least 1-2 days p/week. Anyone else felt this?

    submitted by /u/pinecone321
    [link] [comments]

    Making your own yoga sequence

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 03:03 PM PDT

    When you do yoga in solitude, do you go by what feels best to do in the moment? I usually do that and take 5-10 breaths for each pose, doing sitting asanas to warm up the body then to standing ones, then back to ground. I used to take classes but since I moved, I'm learning to do yoga on my own so wanted some yogis tips on it.

    submitted by /u/mysticalwings
    [link] [comments]

    New yogi, strained hip flexors / groin. Am I best to give up practise to heal or keep going? How do I avoid this happening again?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 02:58 PM PDT

    I've been very obese most of my life. I'm now late twenties and very lean, working on building up my strength. Obviously as a result of my lack of fitness for most of my life, I have very weak muscles—particularly my abs and hips.

    I've been doing yoga a few weeks now, and I've just woken up with sore, strained hip flexors (deep twinging pain around my groin and upper thigh). I'm really disheartened because I was enjoying my practise.

    What am I best to do? Wait it out, or keep going?

    submitted by /u/Snapchien
    [link] [comments]

    Self Conscious

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 06:13 PM PDT

    I have been doing yoga since college so let's call it 15 years. Mostly it is a home practice for me.

    For the past two years, I have been part of a community yoga group which has been very fulfilling and I love the community.

    I am in fairly intensive therapy for PTSD and started attending a local studio afterward for yoga because yoga is a big part of my life and very grounding. But I feel so self conscious about it.

    While I have been doing yoga for 15 years, I deal with multiple chronic illnesses that impede progress as well as some physical issues that make poses difficult (I am miss several stabilizing muscles in my left foot after a life saving surgery). Yoga is very safe and healthy for me and my doctors and physical therapists are all very happy that I continue to practice.

    But I feel incredibly self conscious at the studio. I am surrounded by people who are much better than I am and the instructors have commented several times about how tight I am. (One of my chronic illnesses is in the Parkinson's family, giving chronic stiffness and contracted muscles.) Often after therapy, because I am stressed, I have visible tremor when holding poses. (This is not dangerous and just a part of the illness.)

    I want to keep practicing with the studio. Their time, location, cost, and experience are all ideal and not matched by any other studio. If my illnesses weren't so rare, I would just tell them, but last year I had a neurologist pull in the clinic head because, while he had read about my illness in medical school, in 20 years of practice he had never actually seen someone with it. There is a zero chance my instructor knows anything about them - which is fine, he's a yogi not a neurologist.

    Any advice about overcoming this?

    submitted by /u/grayperegrine
    [link] [comments]

    My first 200 hour YTT application has been sent!

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 12:58 PM PDT

    I'm just so excited. I've been wanting this for almost two years and I (should) finally have the money to do it this summer. I can't wait to be studying yoga at the same time I'm studying to become a school teacher (and maybe when I'm finished I can incorporate yogic philosophies into my school teaching) 😇

    submitted by /u/Vegetable-Chain
    [link] [comments]

    How are you all affected by the Coronavirus? I will share after hearing how y’all feel.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 08:23 PM PDT

    Got my first decent yoga mat from Yogi Bare Paws. So happy with it!

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 04:29 PM PDT

    Does your yoga teacher discourage moving with them to an instructed pose if you have a lot of experience?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 08:03 PM PDT

    I've been going to an unspecified levels class for about 3 and a half months know and I've come to know this teacher fairly well and vice versa. Naturally I've picked up on her style of teacher and what they usually do for class. Beginners make there way here frequently but it's technically and all level class. I usually follow what my teacher does since a lot of what they teachI already know. My last few classes they have just told me to stop because "we're not quite there yet". I don't really like to stop and watch if I don't need to but i feel really discouraged from the play aspect because it doesn't feel like "my practice" (im told that all the time in every class i attend).If you're a teacher and reading this, have you experienced this?

    submitted by /u/hossdelgado_
    [link] [comments]

    Question: After yoga, when relaxing and breathing out, my teacher says something that sounds like "sohar". What is it, what does it mean?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 01:53 PM PDT

    Becoming a Yoga Instructor

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 11:57 AM PDT

    Hi all. I was wondering if there are ways to become a yoga instructor without having to dish out over $2,000. Is RYT the only way to be formally recognized as a Yoga professional? Has anyone gone alternative routes. Thanks

    submitted by /u/CoolHandWilson
    [link] [comments]

    Not enjoying class like I used to

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 10:48 AM PDT

    I started yoga about a year ago and was terrible at it. Couldn't finish a class (always hot yoga) but I stuck with it and got to the point where the hour would fly by and felt like ten minutes. It took about four months of going four days per week to various classes (sculpt, a bikram type, different flows, etc) to get to that point and I loved it. For the last couple of months though, the hour feels like an hour. I like it but don't have that same floaty feeling that I used to get. Any tips on how to get my mental state back to that?

    submitted by /u/frabika
    [link] [comments]

    anyone else go into a 'yoga trance'?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 07:47 AM PDT

    I have noticed that yoga is truly meditative. in a way that TM wasn't for me. I lose myself in the movement and breathing and exertion and before I know it the class is over. I love this aspect of yoga. I am relatively new to it. and I was wondering if anyone else felt this too. thanks.

    submitted by /u/galwegian
    [link] [comments]

    A bit of help and suggestions for a person who can't keep their legs straight in the air and back straight when bending.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 06:56 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I've been going to some noob level 1 yoga courses for awhile now and additionally practice at home and I can pretty much follow everything the teacher says, but I am having my worries with bending poses which require "keeping the back straight and chest lowered". I feel like I am failing majorly at that but she doesn't give me any tips (guessing I'm not doing perfect but not as bad as some elderly people in the class (I say that with no offence of course)). My other problem is that I can't for the life of me keep my legs perfectly straightened if they're anywhere in the air and as for my downward dog (shoulders concern me) I have no idea if it's proper, cause I have no big mirrors in my house to see.

    Important!: I do not want to do it perfect with no exercise or whatever, I want to do it c o r r e c t l y ! Thank you in advance to anyone who replies. Please also let me know if you have similar situations and if you have overpassed them.

    Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/Cry_stalline
    [link] [comments]

    Fun Yoga Philosophy Question for Students. (It's for teachers too because you are going to become the student)

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 10:13 AM PDT

    Teachers step into your class as a student of your class. And students stay where you are😉 Ask this question.

    What is it that needs to be known?

    Yes there are thousands of specific answers but what is the one answer that covers them all. And 'things I don't know' is not the right answer.😊 That's just another way of writing 'what is it that needs to be known'.

    submitted by /u/mayuru
    [link] [comments]

    Aleister Crowleys 8 lectures on yoga

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 10:05 AM PDT

    Has anyone here read this, and would you recommend it or not?

    submitted by /u/tvucme
    [link] [comments]

    [request] visual guide how to work up to cow face pose

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 12:24 AM PDT

    Hi yogis! I would love to connect my cow face pose on both sides. One side does but the other doesnt come anywhere close!

    I've been seeing (and loving) the visual guides that show 'if you want to get x, do y z etc' like warm up poses that work towards the main pose.

    Has anyone got one for cow face or can possibly make one for here? Much karma on reddit and life will come for you!

    submitted by /u/thetechnocraticmum
    [link] [comments]

    Any program that is aimed at building strength/physique for men?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 04:55 AM PDT

    Hello all. I've been staying at hotels for work a lot and the "fitness rooms" typically have just a spin bike and treadmill, sometimes maybe dumbbells. I want to get stronger and improve my physique. I hate having to substitute exercises all the time. Is there a program somewhere that involves zero equipment? Perhaps a yoga routine aimed at strength building for men?

    submitted by /u/SELF1SH_Machine
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment