• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 1, 2020

    Yoga: Rosa parks a yogi? How awesome!

    Yoga: Rosa parks a yogi? How awesome!


    Rosa parks a yogi? How awesome!

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 06:09 AM PST

    [COMP] trying out a new variation on playing from chair pose

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 07:18 PM PST

    The trap of ego in yoga and Insta-perfect poses

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 10:23 AM PST

    Hi, I've been practicing for a few months now and I love it. As I got into it, I started following a bunch of yoga accounts on Instagram, mostly with alignment tutorials and tips. Soon, also accounts of different advanced yogis. Seeing all these beautiful, pretzel-like poses changed the focus of my practice to, "I really want to nail crow this week!" or going deeper into backbends than I have before and just generally being quite competitive with myself. After my back was unhappy with me because of overdoing the wheel, I've dialed back and rethought my approach. As I read in one book, "we use the poses to get into the body, not the body to get into the poses." It's refocused my practice to things that feel good and serve me, that also challenge me but not just as a competition. I also have to fight with my ego and remind myself that just because I can, I don't have to get into that backbend, I don't do yoga to get approval or to impress. As a natural teacher's pet, this has been quite a challenge! So I wanted to ask the community, how do you feel about the aestheticisation of yoga? Have you ever fallen into the ego trap? How do you practice, do you have goals of getting into specific poses? And if yes, why? To feel good or to achieve something physical?

    submitted by /u/8miornica
    [link] [comments]

    Book of flows?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 06:25 PM PST

    I'm a beginning yoga teacher. I'd like a book of flows for both teaching and for my personal practice. Anyone know of a good one? Bonus points if it goes in depth about the postures, anatomy, etc.

    submitted by /u/reformed_hen
    [link] [comments]

    Re-establishing my practice

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 11:08 AM PST

    Hello all,

    I'm seeking community to help me reestablish my yoga practice. I have playlists and such that I love, I just don't have anyone in my personal life who is excited about yoga as I am. I've been practicing for almost six years. I used to be very consistent with my practice and fell out of habit after quite a lot of health issues last year. As I try to get back to getting on my may every day, I want to find friends within this very vast yoga community to connect. 🙏

    submitted by /u/kdreidauthor
    [link] [comments]

    I think I ruined my breathing by practicing a breathing exercise by myself and my body is fucked

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 03:26 PM PST

    The exercise was: exhale slowly and as long as possible, beyond resistance, and when you absolutely feel the urge, let the inhale come by itself. Then repeat. I did this combined with meditation and very regularly, at some point 20 minutes twice a day for several months.

    I practiced this twice in my life. I already had issues after the first time which scared me, so I stopped doing it. I think I had only practiced for two weeks and not in very long sessions. I never had any issues during the exercise itself and I enjoyed doing it a lot. It did relax the shit out of me, aka it worked well. However, afterwards, my breathing became troubled. I would get sudden urges to inhale deeply to satisfy a certain itch and it felt like the breath doesn't flow well, as if I constantly "underbreath" and then have to catch up by taking a huge inhale all at once.

    As I said, I stopped after the first time and it went away again. However, due to me craving to have a relaxing exercise again, I started doing it again and hoped the issues I had would go away eventually after getting used to breathing differently. I think I did the exercise again for at least 3 months, maybe longer, until it became obvious the problem would not go away. I stopped again, but I've been stuck with the deep inhale ever since.

    That isn't all though. A few months after I stopped doing the exercise for the second time, I had some sort of physical panic attack, meaning I was gasping for air and my heart was going crazy. I say physical because, aside from not knowing what the fuck was going on, i wasn't upset about anything or stressed out. Fast forward, I am very certain that I'm chronically hyperventilating. I've had these symptoms all throughout the past year: can't take a deep breath, bubbling in my belly, belching, a very notable heartbeat and irregular heart rhythm. I've had trouble falling asleep in all this time. 50% of the times I went to bed I would get these heart issues and even if I did fall asleep I would wake up, at longest, a few minutes later because the heart stumbling was so severe, it shook my whole body.

    It gets more confusing though. As I had lost a lot of weight (60kg->51kg in 2 years, male 169cm) I did not think in that direction at all. And I still don't know if it has anything to do with it. I went vegetarian the first year and I DID eat less. However, the second year I went back to meat, consciously ate at least three big/full meals a day and I still continued lose even more weight.

    I've had a gastroscopy, endoscopy with no results. I also went to a Pulmonologist, where they diagnosed a slight obstruction and gave me an asthma spray, which, however, did not solve the problem at all (still couldn't take deep breaths). I have yet to do lactose/fructose intolerance or other food related tests, but I don't have any diarrhea or nausea after eating anything, so it will most likely be a negative result as well. Blood test etc. is all healthy, so I still have absolutely no idea why I've lost that much weight and still can't gain any. I've stagnated at 51kg for a month though, which is at least sort of positive.

    So, as you may imagine, I have no fucking clue about anything anymore. I don't trust my own judgement anymore, I have no idea if there really is something serious or if it's a mental health issue, which I doubt but what the fuck do I know. However, last week I basically confirmed that my heart issues come from breathing too deeply. If I resist the urge to breath deeply entirely for several hours, my heartbeat feels very normal, I can also sleep normally. But the urge doesn't go away and eventually I give in. It's not just the urge, it's extremely uncomfortable to only breath tiny amounts and it feels like I'm not getting enough air in. I've managed to keep it like that for a day but it's unimaginable to do longer.

    If you think, yeah dude just let go and do the breath do its thing, it doesn't work. The only time where I can breathe normally is when I do sleep. I've NEVER, in all this time, woken up at night because I couldn't breathe. When I wake up in the morning and lie in bed, I can watch my breath and flow with it, it's no problem. I'm aware, not controlling, everything is fine. The way I breathe there is very different from daily life, although I think that's how it is for everyone. I breathe relatively loud and relatively fast. But as soon as I stand or even just sit up, the urge returns and the cycle begins again. It's as if there is no natural flow to my breathe anymore. I also can't breathe well when lying on my back. If I fall asleep like that I wake up panicking, feeling like my airway is closed. I could imagine having apnea. I also have a chronically blocked nose, which I've had since puberty.

    Also, the only time I've ever had breathing problems prior to the exercise was when smoking too much weed once. That was like 5 or 6 years before this. It feels very similar to the whole thing actually, it's like when my breathing slows down I can't get any air in, as if the flow of breath isn't strong enough to get past the blocked nose or something? I know I'm shooting in a lot of directions, but I just don't know anymore. Actually, I just remembered, once as a kid I also had the feeling I couldn't breathe deeply, when I was away from home staying with my grandparents.

    What I want to ask is the following: what can I do? Has any one of you ever heard of something like this? Can you recommend a way to fix this? Should I visit some breathing trainer or is it useless or might even make it even worse?

    Do you think chronically hyperventilating could make me lose weight? Maybe as a secondary consequence?

    Any input outside of my family/doctor is very welcome. I can't judge this situation neutrally anymore and don't know in which direction to move.

    submitted by /u/lightditter
    [link] [comments]

    Yesterday after Bikram, I went to eat Thai food with friends. Knowing I am vegetarian, they all ordered food with tofu, some for their first time eating tofu. I almost cried ��

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 12:09 PM PST

    What do I do with my glasses?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 03:53 PM PST

    I'm a complete yoga newbie, but I'm interested in trying hot yoga in particular. My question is, what do I do with my glasses? I imagine wearing glasses can be a bit of an issue in a regular yoga class, let alone one with high heat and sweat. I'm nearsighted so I can see close up. Do I just take them off?

    submitted by /u/qwert1992
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone practice yoga with a hobo egg?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 06:33 PM PST

    Thoughts about the egg itself? Trying to strengthen my pelvic floor

    submitted by /u/cornycatlady
    [link] [comments]

    Yoga straight to work?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 05:36 PM PST

    Hello yogis!! I have recently started a new job. I walk/scooter to work so I am not able to have lots of bags, or store things in a car. Any advice from people that have found yoga pants that can double dip as work attire? Or experience using odor sprays to help with the post class funk? TIA!!

    submitted by /u/rx_kmc
    [link] [comments]

    Experiencing transference towards teacher

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 05:08 PM PST

    Using a throwaway account due to privacy concerns, tried using the search function but didn't find much.

    As it says in the title, I'm experiencing transference towards my yoga teacher. By that I mean that I am feeling attracted and drawn to him, but I am also completely aware that this is not because I am actually attracted to him (I know nearly nothing about him) but that it's entirely driven by the types of interactions that happen in a yoga class, the things he says that are just him doing his job, and me transferring the positive emotions that come from the practice, from feeling safe, seen, held, worthy, onto him. I am aware of this, and I know it is happening in part due to lacks in my early relationships and in current relationships.

    Nonetheless, despite knowing what this is, having experienced it before... in the past it has felt manageable, like I am able to separate myself from transference feelings and just observe, acknowledge them and then they pass. With this teacher I feel identified with the emotion and invested in it. I have been trying to simply observe it, but what I observe is that I spend inordinate amounts of time thinking about him and going into fantasy under the guise of observing the transference.

    How can I get over this? If I were in therapy and having these feelings towards my therapist, I would feel comfortable bringing this up with them in order to work through it, as I know they are trained and understand what transference is. But I know that would be overstepping the boundary of what's in scope of practice for a yoga teacher. Honestly the situation is starting to feel a little humiliating for me. I have started wondering whether he can tell. I think he probably can, which makes me feel a bit ashamed and sad that I can't defend myself to him and tell him that I know it's transference and wish it would go away, but also it feels important for me to work through...

    I could stop going to his classes, but I get so much from them (see above about feeling safe, seen, held), and I know that if I stop going to his classes it will probably transfer to another teacher sooner or later anyway and I also feel like I would be missing an opportunity to learn something here. I'm not quite sure why this time just knowing why it's happening doesn't feel like enough...

    I wish I could speak to my partner about this, but I fear he would take it completely the wrong way and would ask me to stop going to his classes (we sometimes go together).

    So, please share your stories of dealing with transference either as a student or a teacher... How did it get resolved?

    submitted by /u/yoga_transference
    [link] [comments]

    How do you feel about opening your heart ? Many of my students have an instant relief of contraction and the a rise of emotions - don’t be afraid this is completely healing - next we love the emotion/ the past. How do you heal?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 10:31 AM PST

    Shoulders in Vrikshasana?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 06:35 AM PST

    https://preview.redd.it/uijgzsx1o2k41.jpg?width=488&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=e249b62595d23caa215e0883e17f4b4a5f7a44d1

    Browsing 'Light on Yoga' by B.K.S. Iyengar I found this picture of him performing Vrikshasana (tree pose). I was told by more than one teacher (not Iyengar teachers) to do this asana with my shoulders away from my ears, like the other guy in the image. After that I assumed that lifting the shoulders that much was considered wrong because that's one mistake I make in Virabhadrasana II (warrior II) sometimes and I always get corrected by the teachers. But in Tree Pose you are aiming for vertical extension, so for me it makes more sense what B.K.S. does as long as you keep your chest open. What's your opinion on that?

    The same question applies to Utthita Parsvakonasana (extended side angle). Top arm shoulder away from the ear or not?

    submitted by /u/matarrayos
    [link] [comments]

    Jump Through To Seat Question

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 07:06 AM PST

    I go to a class a couple times a month. Every time a woman comes over after class to ask me about this. I have always jumped with straight legs. She can almost do it with straight legs. But isn't easier with crossed ankles? She has more difficulty with crossed ankles though. Does anyone know any helpful exercises for this? I've had her use blocks and think of pulling a sandbag through with her feet.

    submitted by /u/SenorTuko
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling with easy pose

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 02:29 AM PST

    Idk if this the right place to post, but ive recently been trying to do yoga everyday, and I find that sitting in easy posy is very uncomfortable for me. I get a sharp stretch in the outer of my right hip/thigh, and i always feel like im about to fall back. Are there other stretches i can do to get better, or should i just keep trying?

    submitted by /u/Willdhansen
    [link] [comments]

    My Yoga Wheel is amazing!!!!

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 03:53 AM PST

    It helped my body release muscle tension, and also increase my flexibility and balance.

    submitted by /u/QueasyMatter7
    [link] [comments]

    Incorporating pushups

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 07:23 AM PST

    Hi all! I was just wondering if any of you add pushups into your routine? Do you do them before or after your practice?

    submitted by /u/bostonsports8
    [link] [comments]

    My experience in yoga teacher training

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 07:45 PM PST

    To give some background I have suffered with depression, anxiety, since childhood. I have had a difficult and traumatic childhood and my adult life has been a mess. Like most of us yoga has been a vital piece of my recovery with my mental illness. I fell in love with yoga because it got me out of my head, it felt like a safe place. I wanted to learn more to help others who may have a similar story as me. So I sought out yoga teacher training.

    The 200 hour program seemed like it was going to be incredible. All of my instructors spoke so highly of the program but never in much detail. I thought this program would teach me about the origins of yoga, how to be the best version of yourself, in addition to learning meditation, and the yoga poses. I'm brand new to this community I'm in about month 5 of my yoga journey. I was still encouraged to participate in this program by multiple instructors who I believed to have my best interest at heart. Now I'm not so sure.

    I will say, I did drink the koolaid the first few weekends. I was able to be open I had a group of people with similar goals and aspirations as me. We were mostly people who were broken, trying to find ourselves and feel connected. We are taught the sequence of the yoga practice. This style is "Baptiste" yoga. Baron Baptiste is a very successful man who helped bring hot power yoga to the west. He pretty much took a concept developed and rooted with a deep spiritual meaning and culture. White washed it, simplified it, and took away the spiritual element to appeal to the American people.

    In the training we have yet to speak or learn about the history of yoga besides being put in a studio and forced to watch a 3 hr movie that the instructors did not even stay for.

    The program is $3500 and is incredibly unorganized. So many misspellings and mistakes in the manual and in the presentations. The teachers will say one thing during program, then teach it completely different when they lead a practice.

    To top it off we do self inquiry with the group. It's almost exactly like group therapy without the licensed professionals. We were encouraged to think about our most traumatic life experiences, have "clearings" with the people we have wronged in our lives.

    On top of the self work we were expected to practice teach, practice power yoga sequence 4-6 times a week, meditate, read etc. just like any other course. I had no issue with the workload. I had an issue with the lack of knowledge on the instructors end. When I addressed cultural appropriation to the instructor they had no idea what it even meant. I explained the concept and she did not have much to say. I am expected to do a training on "yod" it's pretty much CrossFit mixed with yoga. It is not yoga. It's the furthest thing from it. I asked if instead I can do more research on yoga and the origins and they told me to "trust the process" and to "get out of my comfort zone." Anytime I questioned the program I was faced with questions about myself, the finger was always pointed back at me. This is fine, as I am able to take accountability for my perception. I am just upset they don't hold the program to a higher standard.

    This program has made my confidence skyrocket, I have met a few amazing honest people, and I feel like my values have become more clear. I am grateful for the start of my yoga journey and can help others with getting out of their heads and into their body. I plan on expanding my knowledge and learning as much as I can. I hope to do more trainings that will stick more to traditional yoga in the future. If anyone has any advice or suggestions please let me know.

    Thanks for reading I hope we can share experiences.

    submitted by /u/NymeriaWhoDis
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment