• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 7, 2020

    Yoga: Yoga For Better Sleep

    Yoga: Yoga For Better Sleep


    Yoga For Better Sleep

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 09:42 AM PST

    Halasana

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 07:18 PM PST

    Wrist-friendly vinyasa variations?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 05:29 PM PST

    Hiya folks. I was just wondering if anyone has suggestions or is perhaps having similar issues with maintaining a regular practice while dealing with a wrist injury. I have a TFCC tear and have to wear a (fairly non-invasive) brace at all times but this injury is really compromising my mental and physical health, in large part because I am struggling to adapt my yoga practice to it. I'm not really supposed to much weight bearing on it so some things are obvious, but I am officially coming to grips with standard vinyasas being fairly incompatible with my current situation. They are my go-to for warming up and transitions, and I am unsure if there's a way to modify them to work for me, or if I should just forego them altogether. Unfortunately, this isn't likely to be temporary for me and it's not just a matter of taking a break from my practice or taking it down a few notches for a while (which I definitely have). My physiotherapist has made it pretty clear that this injury is unlikely to improve much and that our focus should be pain management 😕

    Any general suggestions for a more wrist-friendly practice are also appreciated. If you avoid vinyasas in your practice, what do you do instead? Please send your favourite modifications my way! Thanks in advance!

    Sincerely, A fairly bummed out yogi

    submitted by /u/joolifish
    [link] [comments]

    Sanitation real talk

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 12:56 PM PST

    So I used to be an avid yogi. I would go to hot yoga classes 3-4 times a week and I was in the best shape/mental health of my life. Then, I got a plantar wart on the bottom of my foot. Public yoga classes were the only time I was barefoot so I'm pretty certain that's where I got it. It makes sense because that would be the perfect environment for the virus to thrive. After talking to some yoga teachers they said they don't sanitize after every class. So I tried to treat it and it's been pretty stubborn and it's made me not go back to class for a while. I tried to get into it on my own but I really love and miss the class environment.

    Can I go back to class? Are yoga socks an option or would it be totally dorky for me to wear them? Are they comfortable? Will it help from other people getting it? In info would be great.

    submitted by /u/la_lalola
    [link] [comments]

    Pretty much done with the dd app. Zero consistency and I dont get better at the poses Im bad with because one week it has them and another week it doesnt. What other apps feel like real yoga classes, but allow me to create a custom flow??

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 04:21 PM PST

    I got great at yoga doing the same 90min class once a week in the city, and Im going to recreate that class cuz i havent done it in months.Consistency is key for progress.

    90 min a week of dd ashtanga and previously their regular all encompassing class arent giving me a 1/4 of the benefit of my class in the city so Im done.

    submitted by /u/_Dilligent
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking about starting yoga in the Bay Area. What should I expect?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 04:05 PM PST

    I'm an aging skater/surf punk who's always written off yoga as some new agey hippie chick thing(I know, I know). As I've gotten older my mobility isn't was it use to be and I could probably use some calm in my life. So I've come here to ask some questions about getting into yoga.

    1. Is hot yoga ok for a beginner? I like the idea of working up a good sweat. My only reference point for hot yoga was that Netflix documentary on it that made it seem kinda of culty but the actual yoga part seems pretty cool.
    2. How much should I expect to pay for a class?
    3. What should I wear? Are gym shorts fine?
    4. What are some things I should look out for in deciding what studio to join?
    submitted by /u/fartnartist
    [link] [comments]

    Best pants for hot vinyasa?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 07:47 AM PST

    I recently started taking hot vinyasa classes and my regular yoga pants aren't cutting it anymore (nothing fancy, bought at Target). They feel so heavy and uncomfortable when covered in sweat. What brand/style/material would be best to purchase next? I don't mind spending more on a good, solid pair of pants I'm just not sure what to go for. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

    Edit: thank you for all of your replies!! I have a lot of options here and I really appreciate you taking the time out to help me. I apologize for not reading through the sub for this info before I posted (I assume that's why the post got downvoted), I dont post very frequently and didn't really think to!

    submitted by /u/bakedsnack710
    [link] [comments]

    Does the manduka pro lite ever get grippy in a hot class?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 03:07 PM PST

    I was sliding around today and thinking I should return it and go back to my 68 inch, 6mm Gaia mat

    submitted by /u/sknysky
    [link] [comments]

    Why is the Tricep Pushup So Common in Yoga

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 10:51 AM PST

    It seems like the normal push up where the angles are at a 45 degree angle from the body are discouraged in chaturanga. I'm always curious in why this is the case since the tricep pushup is usually a niche exercise and when you push yourself up with your elbows close to your body, it engages mostly your triceps and not your chest. Is the reason why this type is so preferred is because most people can't do the "normal" pushup variation or something like that?

    submitted by /u/open_reading_frame
    [link] [comments]

    Books on yoga?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 10:41 AM PST

    Any suggestions for books that have improved your yoga or deepened your understanding of the practice ?

    submitted by /u/whoajamin
    [link] [comments]

    Flat feet and balance

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 03:29 AM PST

    I've been doing yoga for many years. I am strong and flexible. The only thing I really struggle with is balance. On a good day I can balance on one foot in any balancing posture for about a minute, MAYBE two, but that's really rare. After that I fall out of it and can rarely achieve the pose again.

    I don't think it's an issue of focus. I practice meditation as well and I can focus my mind if I need to. I can't help but wonder if it's because of my feet, which are almost totally flat. This was diagnosed by a specialist when I was 11 or 12. Does anyone know anything about this, or have experience with it?

    submitted by /u/bibaporu
    [link] [comments]

    How long before yoga improved sleep, mental health, etc?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 10:06 AM PST

    Would love to hear people's stories & experiences on how long they were practicing yoga before they noticed an improvement in sleep, mood, etc.

    submitted by /u/revolutionarylove321
    [link] [comments]

    What should I do? Frustrated with lack of progress

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 11:32 AM PST

    I've been doing yoga now for a year. I probably practice twice a week. I'm still really struggling to make the progress I want, even simple poses are still difficult for me/inadequate; e.g., downward dog.

    I'm looking for support/advice from those who wanted to take their practice to a higher level. Novice > intermediate.

    submitted by /u/strtheat
    [link] [comments]

    This may be a stupid question but, should men and women do anything differently during yoga?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 02:26 AM PST

    Spiritual forms of yoga

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 02:15 AM PST

    Newbie here!

    I understand that the ancient practice of yoga is inherently spiritual through-and-through, which is what initially drew me to it. But I've also heard that Western culture tends to minimize the spiritual aspect in many basic yoga classes.

    In finding a local yoga class to take with a focus on spirituality (meditation, please!), what keywords should I use? Would kundalini be an example of spiritual yoga?

    Thanks, all!

    submitted by /u/littlegreeneyes
    [link] [comments]

    A Question for Bow Legged Yogis

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 09:32 AM PST

    I definitely have a bow legged stance (my knees don't touch when my feet are together) and I have difficulty in poses when my feet are supposed to be together- my ankles hitting and my stance feeling a little out of balance over all. I've taken to having a slight space between my feet when the instructor calls for feet together, but have you found any way to help around this? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/moonshinecrew
    [link] [comments]

    Best yoga positions for nausea and indigestion?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 10:20 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment