• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 8, 2020

    Meditation: I made contact with my inner child this morning.

    Meditation: I made contact with my inner child this morning.


    I made contact with my inner child this morning.

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 08:25 AM PST

    When I found her, she was 4-5 years old and crying in her kindergarten classroom. She was so lonely at school, so lonely at home. My inner child learned English as a second language so she was pretty isolated. The other kids didn't want to play with her and the teacher never understood her. My inner child told me how alone she feels everywhere she goes. At home it's worse because she is an only child and her parents fight a lot. Her dad yells and screams and hits and breaks things. All she wants is a friend and a protector, someone she can express herself with without feeling afraid. I held my inner child and told her I will always protect her and talk to her, because she is my friend. I told her everything will be okay, and that nothing that happened in the past with her parents is her fault. Her mom once blamed the death of her newborn baby sister on her but it wasn't her fault. She absorbed all the adults' feelings and behaviors but had no release. No friend. I will be her friend.

    I realized that the reason I want children is to not only be a parent, but to give them what I never had myself. I feel this is what will heal the pain from my past.

    submitted by /u/carebearstare89
    [link] [comments]

    What do you do when you simply can't bring yourself to meditate?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 08:04 PM PST

    Like...I haven't properly sat in so long, and I'm not sure what's really stopping me. I keep making excuses like "it's too noisy" or "I'm too tired" or "this isn't a convenient time," but I think it goes deeper than that.

    Like I get anxious whenever I think about how I haven't meditated and how I really need to start again, and it feels like some sort of internal force keeping me from doing it. Like I'm afraid to. But I know I have no reason to be afraid to. It's literally just sitting, and yet there's this internal struggle going on inside me over whether or not I should sit.

    What should I do?

    submitted by /u/chelledoggo
    [link] [comments]

    Escaping the Observer Trap: Free Yourself by Observing the Observer

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 06:46 AM PST

    Many traditions—especially mindfulness meditation—encourage you to observe your sensory experience in a neutral manner. Observe your breathing, observe emotions, observe thoughts, and so on, without reacting to them. This observer technique works really well because it gives you something like an outside perspective on your own experience. You can watch your own mind, your reactions, your emotions, your behavior almost from the perspective of another person, and that is tremendously useful feedback to have. It leads to equanimity, and the tremendous personal growth that mindfulness advocates are always talking about.

    But there is a hidden problem with the observer technique, which becomes obvious once you think about it. Who is the observer? Who is this person who is behind the binoculars, watching your experience from the outside?

    Full post about "escaping the observer trap" is worth a read: https://deconstructingyourself.com/escaping-observer-trap.html

    submitted by /u/rnevius
    [link] [comments]

    A thought i have about the evolutionary benefits to meditation

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 09:30 PM PST

    I have had a consistent meditation practice for several years, and I consider it to be the primary reason I have processed deep emotional childhood trauma. To me meditation is one of if not the greatest skill a person can practice because of its wide ranging benefits.

    As far as i can tell the earliest depictions of people in meditation go back to within the last ten thousand years ( not sure in exact date and wouldn't be surprised if there was an example that was older.). And we typically associate the origin with eastern religion.

    Based on the incredible effect is has on the brain, I have always been highly skeptical of this assumption. To me it makes a lot more sense that meditation was a skill that our early ancestors used regularly for a variety of different reasons. The benefits are too apparent for breathe control to simply be a relatively recent practice.

    Terence McKenna proposed the stoned ape theory where early hominids ate small amounts of psychedelic mushrooms which enhanced their senses, creativity,decision making, and over generations greatly enhanced our cognitive development.

    This theory has always fascinated me, and I believe touched on several interesting points, but the elephant in the room is if we have the ability to do this on our own using meditation techniques why use mushrooms?

    Using breathing techniques would greatly aid in our ability to focus on a hunt, stay in control whole calming our nervous system, be in tune with sounds around us, help our decision making by prioritizing logic over emotional decisions, and help focus on the present moment instead of getting lost in thoughts that might get us killed.

    I believe one of the reasons Homo sapiens prevailed over other hominids was our ability to use meditation to get the most out of what was given to us. A meta skill that improved every part of early life from hunting to improving social connections and family relationships.

    I do want to say that I believe the stoned ape theory could have definitely aided us, but that it was meditation that helped accelerate our development.

    submitted by /u/Realshawnbradley
    [link] [comments]

    A very cool trick - try staring at one object in a room for 5 minutes.

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 09:30 AM PST

    Hey,

    I have recently discovered a cool trick. I sit on a couch, and just stare at an object for 5 minutes (There should be no direct light source entering your eye - For eg, a light bulb emitting light rays directly in your eyes, it should be place somewhere else say the ceiling).

    As you keep staring and lose your thoughts, you'll notice that the vision slowly starts to focus in on the object and everything else slowly fades away. Your mind will play visual hallucinations, you'll see point the borders of objects in your room and then they turn black/white. Soon they disappear. You only see the object. And then the object slowly starts to fade until you see only a point on the surface of the object. However, if your mind tries to wander off while staring, you'll see that the hallucinations your mind was playing fades away. I find it a very cool trick to understand how and when my mind wanders off.

    I don't know if it happens with anyone else, if it does please let me know!

    submitted by /u/snorlaxerr
    [link] [comments]

    How to maintain self-awareness

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 03:08 AM PDT

    How in the world do i maintain my self awareness during the day.I become self-aware about 20-30 times a day but i lose it too fast,in about 15 seconds max and than its back on autopilot,like its not me living the rest of it.If you would share some tips on how you do it i would be forever grateful.

    Some background : Male,20,meditate 3 times a week (30min session),LD,AP almost every night but lucidity lasts 3 mins max,been into meditation for 4 years now,i really need to know how to maintain my self awareness :)

    Thank you

    Edit 1: By self awareness i mean,mindfulness,lucidity,being in the moment,observing what i am doing

    submitted by /u/keoske
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone ever get freaked out during meditation?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 11:47 PM PST

    I was meditating earlier after a nice long yoga practice, and gentling bringing my wandering mind back to my breathe/ frontal lobe area. It was one of those days where my mind didn't want to go quiet and kept throwing different things at me to get me to pay attention, if you know what I mean. Finally I got some...unsettling imagery. Not terrible but not something I wanted to keep on with. I've had time periods in my past with unsettling thoughts and images that seem to come from nowhere and mess up my day to day life. Anyway just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this, or has any ideas about the reason or a solution or whatever.

    Summary: wandering mind during meditation lead to unsettling images. Wondering if anyone has insight on something like this.

    submitted by /u/saddsilly
    [link] [comments]

    Grounding - Dissipating Negative Thoughts - Balancing Left and Right Brain

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 08:34 PM PST

    In this post I've tried to add some of the things that you can do if you are experiencing a cloud of negative thoughts/emotions.

    First of all check your breathing pattern. Is it shallow or long? Which nostril is more dominant- left or right?

    When the left nostril is active then the right brain is active. And when the right nostril is active then the left brain is active. The right brain is music. The left brain is logic. So those who have right nostril active understand better.

    If both are active you are in meditation. However if only the right nostril is active, no meditation happens.

    Whenever we hold onto something (Desire, planning, sense of identity) we are into the left brain. Right brain is more about expansion, creativity, dropping the labels, identities etc.

    If you are caught up in a cloud of negative thoughts/emotions, then most probably your right nostril (left brain) is more dominant. We need to switch to the right brain or make left nostril more active. We need to balance both the hemispheres i.e. left brain and right brain.

    Here are things you can do to ground and balance:

    1. Keep or cross your left leg above your right leg (Do this lying down). Positioning the legs this way will make your left nostril and correspondingly right brain more active. Must do this whenever you are in fight or flight mode. Observe the image of NATARAJA and you'll understand what i am trying to say.
    2. MAHAMUDRA. Don't contract your abdominal muscles forcefully. Stretch naturally.
    3. Hamstring/Thigh stretches Don't miss this one.
    4. Work on your abdominal muscles. Do core strengthening exercises.
    5. Akash Mudra.

    If you have any grounding issues, then this exercises are for you. You need to work more on core and lower halve of the body.

    submitted by /u/spiritualscientist01
    [link] [comments]

    The more I'm meditating the more I'm realising not doing it is absurd and ignorant

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 08:43 AM PST

    And seeing it as an essential evolutionary step of our kind whether we accept or resist it

    This of course also means that some people are better at it naturally and they may not even need it.. and some has to be realized consciously why certain patterns reoccur in their life and meditation can be a great tool for that

    **UPDATE**

    The title has a arrogant feel to it, that wasnt deliberate..

    more like saying the same way if you are not using technology/computers you might as well miss out on a new era in the human kind..you can resist it for a while but sooner or later you can realize the pros outweigh the cons greatly

    submitted by /u/lajos93
    [link] [comments]

    Do not ask anything of the given moment

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 12:45 AM PST

    It will give you what it will give you regardless of your questioning.

    I am often asking the moment for something in my day to day life. Whether it's entertainment, pleasure, or for my pain to be eased. But the reality is that my decisions will not amount to what the universe has in store for me. My moments exist all at once and are never changed. Let the moment be what it is and surrender control of understanding. Be effortless.

    It can even be found in the smallest of instances.

    I sat and breathed today. I only asked for breath. But then I yawned. I welcomed the yawn, did not anticipate its beginning or end. I lived in it for as long as it wanted me to. Did not worry if it was only going to be a shallow, only half satisfying one like I oftentimes do.

    This is mindfulness.

    submitted by /u/dcappuccilli
    [link] [comments]

    Breath is just an anchor to fix a ship that otherwise get keep dragging by the waves

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 03:23 AM PDT

    It's not about feeling the breath.. Its about coming near or here to feel breath. Coming in the present and near your body. Breath is a way to bring you back to your obviousness.

    Breath is just an anchor to fix a ship that otherwise get keep dragging by the waves

    submitted by /u/tiddu
    [link] [comments]

    How To Meditate, Part 6 - A Meditation For Happiness

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 01:29 AM PST

    How To Meditate, Part 6 - A Meditation For Happiness

    https://youtu.be/70-SgMnopto

    🕉😊➟ In this video, I will guide you to the present moment awareness that gives rise to peace, where all problems and worry cease. This 24-minute Meditation is especially helpful for the development of happiness. We see how happiness arises naturally once we still the mind. This is also helpful in developing and refining concentration. As a result of such concentration we can attain a calm and peaceful mind, a mind that will enable us to overcome anxiety, stress etc…. This will help us find the happiness and peace we all long for.

    #meditation #happiness #guidedmeditation

    submitted by /u/HappinessNowChannel
    [link] [comments]

    Anxiety meditation body scan hypochondria

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 01:26 AM PST

    Hello dear meditators,

    How to get the best of meditation and avoid hypochondria and anxiety?

    Meditation helped me a lot to get rid of bad habits, impulsivity, etc. It changed my life. I stopped binge eating, stopped having arguments with random people, started exercising, etc. was in general more happy about myself and my own life. I want to get back to it!

    However, it made me paranoid about my health. I did not notice in the very beginning it was actually meditation and most probably body scan causing it. I started having cramps and pains all over my body. Mostly my belly. Not to mention intrusive thoughts about having terminal illnesses like cancer, etc. I developed irritable bowel syndrome. I had never been this anxious before. Yes, of course, I had to quit and haven't meditated for a year or so.

    By the way, I started meditating because I suffer from borderline personality disorder. There is a manual on dialectical behaviour therapy, this is a self-help tool and meditation is part of it.

    My former psychoanalyst years ago told me he would not recommend meditation to anyone if they are gonna do this on their own, without anyone's guidance and supervision, as it might end up like this or maybe even worse. I believe this is not applicable to generally healthy individuals.

    submitted by /u/dystopia8888
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for Metta Bhavana resources toward ones self

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 01:00 AM PST

    I'm looking for any good guided Metta meditations directed at ones self. I've found this particular video to have been very helpful but would like to see what other resources are out there.

    https://youtu.be/jSmYP3qn0Gs

    Other Metta meditations are also welcome but I'm trying to specifically cultivate self compassion as this seems to be my greatest weakness.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/eulersidentity1
    [link] [comments]

    Meditating to increase anger

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 08:58 PM PST

    I wanted to reach out to see if this is something anyone else has done before or if I'm just a weirdo on this one. By nature I'm very much a carefree person, I generally don't get bothered by much. This however has lead to me being mistreated in the past. (nothing severe but minor things that if I was more confrontational wouldn't have happened)

    Anyway when I was in a rut a bit ago I decided to try something to change myself somewhat. I still remain very carefree however, I've started meditating on my anger in a way. I try to focus on past failures, fears, and insecurities in order to motivate myself for some things like the gym and studying. I've found it really has given me a strong drive and it's made me more willing to express myself.

    Has anyone else tried something like this? What do you think of this as a practice? Thanks! Have a good day!

    submitted by /u/RarelyComfortable
    [link] [comments]

    Meditation + cold showers

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 05:01 AM PST

    Last night I was having anxiety as well as a panic attack I wasn't so sure what to do I was trying to stop my mind from creating thoughts and trying to be more present but my mind was making so much noise. And then out no where I had thought about taking a cold shower to maybe put my focus on the cold. As soon as I got in there i could feel all of my thoughts slipping away and I was only in there for just a few minutes, like 5 or less. After that my mind went quite and I felt fully present into the now and when I went to my room I just sat in there feeling fully present and then I fell asleep.

    I have done cold shower before but now I can use it as a good tool if I ever get into a situation like that again. I woke up this morning with my mind still quite and peaceful.

    submitted by /u/TmosDHD
    [link] [comments]

    The enlightened approach on how to become enlightened

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 01:01 PM PST

    The enlightened approach to become enlightened is to be aware of being aware.

    Look at your hand.

    You are now aware of a hand.

    Now be aware of being aware.

    Stay in that awareness, and when anything occurs, simply be aware of being aware. Do not be attached to it, do not have a desire to stop it, just be in that moment, aware of being aware. This will automatically shift every single thing you do and the intensity in which you do it, gradually everything that is meant to happen will happen, and you will be the self that is unchanging.

    Not only will this help you quit suffering, if you actually follow this at every moment in your life, you are enlightened! This IS enlightenment, people simply do not understand what enlightenment means and how to actually achieve it. They go beating around the bush with spirituality and bullshit like that just because this technique for enlightenment will make you unattach from everything you ever knew in your life.

    This means completely abandoning the ego, seeing it for the illusion that it is. Follow this one thing and miracles will happen. Do not let your ego rob you out of true freedom!

    submitted by /u/redditKeyy
    [link] [comments]

    Meditation on LSD

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 10:41 PM PST

    I'm wondering if anyone has Meditated on LSD and of so what was your experience with it?

    submitted by /u/DoQuan
    [link] [comments]

    Mental orgasm while meditating

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 07:47 AM PST

    I want to precise that I don't believe in any metaphysical concept, I meditate in order to be less anxious, but this event really made me think a lot. So the other day I went for a run, took a shower, ate and mastubated before deciding to meditate a bit, I've been doing it on and off for more than a year. I started meditating with no expectations other than just be more relaxed and calm until the end of the day, but approximately 10 minutes into it, I felt like I was genuinely not thinking about anything, pure awareness, then, all of a sudden, I felt this overwhelming sensation, like an orgasm that started from inside my mind, I was shaking, it felt like it wasn't me who guided the meditation anymore, but like there was something doing it for me, it was a lot like an altered state of mind, like with drugs, a sensation quite difficult to comprehend if you haven't experienced it. It lasted about 10/15 seconds, after that I cried a little out of awe. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this what meditation is supposed to do?

    submitted by /u/nicolas7uu7
    [link] [comments]

    How much has meditation helped your life and how?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 08:23 AM PST

    Anybody experience controllable tinnitus?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 05:10 PM PST

    Recently in my practice, I've been able to trigger tinnitus, and even change the pitch a bit. I don't know how I do it, but I most certainly am controlling it. Can anybody tell me what might be going on, or that I'm not alone in this, or if it's potentially bad for my hearing?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/swayedsuede
    [link] [comments]

    Are there tips to know which is the best meditation for me?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 08:31 PM PST

    I know there are tones of different meditation styles... Ive tried LKM and mindfulness... how do I know exactly if its working, or, even better, what would be possible tips to know which is the best meditation type for me? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/skiexs
    [link] [comments]

    An Unusual Experience

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 07:30 PM PST

    Hi, r/Meditation. I have recently begun meditating after it was recommended to me by a friend to help alleviate my night-time anxiety, and I'm happy to report that so far I have had an overall positive experience with meditation; it's an excellent way of quieting the mind, which was exactly what I was looking to get out of it.

    I have only been practicing meditation for 3-4 days, and I am generally not very well versed in all of the fine details, including what is normal and what is not. However, last night, before I finished my session, I had a very strange feeling overtake me.

    Although it is hard to describe, the best way I can put it into words is that, I felt as if my mind was rising into the air, while my body, and all of the physical sensations associated with it remained where I was sat. Although at first it felt very slow, over time it gradually built up speed and in minutes(? can't be sure of any exact measurement od time) and I was far, far above my own body, not in the sky but just, somewhere else.

    I'm sorry if this post seems poorly put together or worded incorrectly, I just wanted to get some sort of explanation for my experience from others who may have more knowledge on meditation as a concept/in practice. Thanks 👌

    submitted by /u/Joshuwotm8
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for utilizing meditation to go of anger

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 10:31 AM PST

    It's been no secret to me that I've been holding onto some anger towards people very close to me. I've known that I shouldn't hold onto that anger. That holding onto anger is like swallowing a poison expecting it to hurt someone else, but I just can't seem to let go of it. I know this more than likely means that I just don't want to let go of it. Possibly deep down I'm too afraid of what will happen when I do.

    Does anyone have any experience with anger and meditation? More specifically letting go of an anger you've held onto for a long time?

    For more information, I'm not exactly "new" to meditation. In June I'll have been practicing meditation almost every day for three years. So, I don't need a basic introduction of sorts. More so maybe a specific style of meditation that maybe worked for you. Or maybe just some advice that's not related to meditation at all.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/theoutlet
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment