• Breaking News

    Friday, March 6, 2020

    Yoga: Every year or so, I try to remind everyone on this sub that perfect alignment doesn’t exist. Please don’t become obsessed with the idea of it. Here are some photos that show the natural difference amongst our bones.

    Yoga: Every year or so, I try to remind everyone on this sub that perfect alignment doesn’t exist. Please don’t become obsessed with the idea of it. Here are some photos that show the natural difference amongst our bones.


    Every year or so, I try to remind everyone on this sub that perfect alignment doesn’t exist. Please don’t become obsessed with the idea of it. Here are some photos that show the natural difference amongst our bones.

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 09:39 AM PST

    Went to Emergency with a Yoga Injury

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 06:55 PM PST

    Felt very embarrassed to tell the nurse and dr, to be honest. But when it happened I was terrified.

    I am returning to yoga after some years and have been thrilled to feel my body loosening up the past few weeks. Decided to do headstand again after small steps. No problem. Yay!

    Today, I noticed I did headstand a bit differently than someone who inspires me so I thought, ok I'll just try it that way. Didn't think too much because headstand has always come naturally to me. I put my legs in the air but it just felt different. I fell but I was too far from the wall to support me and too close to give my body room to get down. My back hit the wall and my neck and back bent. The pain was horrible.

    I was able to lie properly on my back and eventually I tried to sit up but it hurt too much and I was scared. Thank God my cell was close so I called my partner and it took more than 30 min for him to arrive so I tried to relax and breath oxygen to the area and send blood there the whole time.

    Anyway after many, many hours in emergency and a couple tests, nothing is broken, thank god, and after being very concerned, the dr ended up being pretty blasé about it -- just put some heat on it and be careful.

    I just hope this doesn't affect my attitude towards yoga or make me fearful. Has anyone experienced something like this?

    submitted by /u/greenbreton
    [link] [comments]

    Do you find that yoga changes you socially?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 08:24 AM PST

    Hey all,

    I did a session of Kundalini Yoga this morning for the first time in over a month. During that month, I smoked weed and trashed my body a bit (as an experiment that got out of hand) but towards the end, yes, I had anxiety and felt cruddy but I also really felt like I was starting to connect with people socially.
    My humor is normally more dirty, mean or witty. Picture a Louis CK / Dane Cook type.

    After yoga this morning, I felt peaceful for once mentally but today, I am trying to join conversations and socialize and be funny and I feel like nothings coming up in my head and I am super awkward.

    Maybe I just feel loving and equalized and socializing about crap I don't care about is super boring now to me or maybe I just am not generating as many thoughts so I have nothing to say...

    but I don't like me in my social circle at my office and want to talk about :) Thanks

    submitted by /u/bicepmuffins
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for Beginner

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 06:25 PM PST

    Hello everyone! I'm new to yoga and I'm struggling with back pain and I have a forward head posture I want to fix.

    My main issue is my lack of strength and flexibility. Does anyone have any good stretches to gain flexibility?

    submitted by /u/neige_renard
    [link] [comments]

    1st yoga session this weekend

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 05:48 PM PST

    Hey I am going to my first yoga session tomorrow and I was just wondering if there is anything that I should or should not do to not make me a nuisance in the studio?

    submitted by /u/hooisergalaxy
    [link] [comments]

    Your experiences with hot yoga vs traditional

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 01:49 PM PST

    Hey guys, I'm currently facing a very hard to decision as to whether I sink my $ into hot yoga classes or traditional yoga.

    I have found that I've liked traditional yoga better after doing a 3 class hot yoga trial, but the classes are $10 a week more expensive than my hot yoga and have less classes that I can make.

    I am wanting to know what have you gotten out of hot yoga that you didn't experience with traditional? Why have you chosen hot yoga?

    I know there's research but imo personal stories are more convincing ;)

    submitted by /u/naturallybree
    [link] [comments]

    has yoga altered the way you think?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 03:06 AM PST

    I have been practicing yoga for six months fairly intensively. and I am starting to notice that it seems to be percolating down to my thinking in every day life. I am more thoughtful and calm. but lately I have noticed that I kind of use what I call 'yogic thinking' to deal with situations and problems. And I can't explain it better than it being more holistic and thoughtful than previously. I use my brain in my job so I'm very in tune with it. There def seems to be a shift for the good lately in a new way. Anyone else notice this?

    submitted by /u/galwegian
    [link] [comments]

    Carbondale CO Private PracticeV

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 05:23 PM PST

    my family has a vacation planned for a house in Carbondale and I would love to have an instructor come out and have a private lesson outside.

    I am having a hard time finding not only a place to post this, but finding an instructor. There are so many yoga studios around there it's hard to sift thru.

    I'd love some recommendations :)

    I'd also love a more local sub to ask, if they would be better.

    submitted by /u/MonkeyAssholeLips
    [link] [comments]

    Very tight perineum when stretching adductors, what's wrong?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 07:31 AM PST

    Most times when stretching my adductors I feel a lot of tightness on my perineum and also some pain going all the way up to the base of my penis

    submitted by /u/youarestronk
    [link] [comments]

    Sweaty hands in downward dog

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 11:57 AM PST

    I started practicing yoga a few months ago and I love vinyasa flows! However I struggle with sweaty hands after a while, especially in downward dog.

    Can someone help?

    submitted by /u/xluucia
    [link] [comments]

    TriYoga? Really rubbed me the wrong way

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 07:39 AM PST

    I joined a new gym with a 'TriYoga' class I had never seen so I tried it. The teacher warned me ahead of time that they don't use the same terms for poses.

    Pigeon is called swan, downward dog is called mountain, etc.

    After classed I asked why this was and she said that a woman had basically just made up her own names, and trademarked "TriYoga". It has an extensive website with a minimum 200 hour basic training program for teachers and a 'merch store' to buy tshirts and classes, etc. Something about all this really rubbed me the wrong way.

    Yoga has been around for 5,000 years using its original Sanskrit plus now modern English 'translations'. Then someone comes in and decides to make up their own third set of names? I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting but it seems completely unnecessary and ruined the class for me. I constantly had to look up to see what she was talking about because I didn't recognize any of the terms.

    submitted by /u/gingerdazed
    [link] [comments]

    Sub-occipital Hell After Nearly Every Vinyasa Flow

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 11:11 AM PST

    Does anybody else get this? I've seen a number of PT's about it. Evidently these problems are most common in women (like myself). I'm only 30 but constantly hurting myself makes me feel 80.

    The pain is at the base of my skull on either the left or right side. It causes horrible referral migraines.

    I know that I'm somehow straining my neck, but I don't understand how since I'm so hyper focused on keeping my head and shoulders aligned throughout my practice.

    submitted by /u/GusLovesBlankets
    [link] [comments]

    my little experience

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 02:14 PM PST

    I decided recently to give Yoga a try and as I continue to do research, I realize that it is going to be a tough road. I definitely have more than a few obstacles to dissolve. I'm trying to quit smoking and need to find another avenue to get my mind off smoking, so I figured Yoga would help me do that. I haven't started a routine yet because I need to figure out which road I'll take. Even though this post is from 2005, I still find the information useful. Thanks and this my new website about yoga https://www.theusasports.com

    submitted by /u/rachidfarssi
    [link] [comments]

    My local yoga studio just started carrying little CBD + Caffeine shots (like 5-hour energy). I want to try it but am skeptical. Does anyone take CBD? If so, how does it impact your practice?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 01:59 PM PST

    I can do handstands while practicing acro yoga but not when I’m practicing solo. Can anyone relate? Is it just fear?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 07:05 AM PST

    Hey guys,

    So I've noticed that while I'm doing acro, I can get into handstand with no issue! When I try at home, I can't seem to achieve it. I've been practicing with the wall for over a year now. Maybe it's just a fear thing but it seems so odd to me.

    submitted by /u/spaceglitter000
    [link] [comments]

    Transitioning from forearm stand to chaturanga. Is it possible to land quietly?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 06:07 AM PST

    I joined a yoga studio last week. My first class was on Sunday. Wanting to be fully present in class I made sure to meditate for about 30 min before heading to the studio. I use the term 'studio' lightly because It's an old barn looks like it's been around for some time, probably since the 1800s. I walked in and was greeted by a nice young woman who instructed me that class would be held on the second floor. I didn't think of this at the time but seeing how it is an older structure, the floors are a bit thin up there. Towards the end of the class I was feeling warmed up and confident enough to attempt pinch mayurasana to chaturanga dandasana for the first time in a class (I just recently discovered I could do this transition a couple days prior to this story) we were in warrior 2, I windmilled my arms into forearm stand, I go for the jump back and, BOOM! a loud unexpected bang was made from my landing. I was thrilled and a bit embarrassed and kinda froze. I could feel everyone probably either looking up at me or being startled by the loud sound. It wasn't until a few seconds later that the instructor granted me a few words of encouragement that I completed my vinyasa. Should this transition be landed softly? If so how and what can I do to correct this?

    submitted by /u/high_f1y3r
    [link] [comments]

    Noob to Yoga

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 10:29 AM PST

    Am 35; going on 36 on June. I attempted yoga 10 years ago and I wasn't fond of it given my teacher was too advanced to educate a new and I don't think she was truly a Yogi (a yoga instructor) so I want to attempt again but I don't know how to start. I tell that I have a heart condition and I have suffered from two strokes so my mobility is limited but am willing to endure pain to see accomplishments even if they take a while to achieve. So, if someone could please send me in the right direction I appreciate. This isn't the first time I seek out help; I have ask a Yogi who was a fellow co-worker but he hasn't helped out given he's helping himself by discovering himself inside and out. Thanks again for the time.

    submitted by /u/4554551n319
    [link] [comments]

    Could I have a weak left lower half and a tight right lower half?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 04:55 AM PST

    I'm new to stretching and yoga. From all the 'tests' of weakness/tightness I seem to have a unilateral imbalance in my legs. A side note is i have experienced many injuries and tweaks throughout the whole of the left side of my body, from ankle to neck.

    Hoping for some advice on whether to address this issue or just practice beginners yoga/ stretches? and how would i fix these imbalances?

    submitted by /u/Qwerty1294
    [link] [comments]

    Tops of my feet/toes in child’s pose...help!

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 07:26 AM PST

    Hi y'all. I've been doing yoga on my own for a couple of years and just started doing classes 3-4 times a week for the past two months. One thing I struggle with is child's pose and sitting on the backs of my feet. It makes my feet ache and makes my toes ache/feel extremely uncomfortable. I'm constantly pushing on my toes to relieve the ache and wiggling my toes. Is this normal? Does it get better in time? I'm not sure if it has something to do with my strength in my feet? I'm very weak (anorexic and anemic), and I have pain that no one else understands; for example the hood of a hoodie resting on my back will make my spine ache, so I don't know if maybe it's just my weak body holding my weight (even tho it's not like I'm putting all my weight on my feet in child's pose). The pose itself is wonderful and I have no problem in this pose except for constantly thinking about how uncomfortable my feet and toes feel! Thanks in advance!

    Edit: would like to add that downward dog is so hard for me as well, because my lower palms are in serious pain after a while even tho I'm spreading my fingers and following advice I've been given.

    submitted by /u/larryballbag
    [link] [comments]

    Downward dog sensation

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 03:24 AM PST

    What is that pain/sensation im getting in my lower pain/bum/hamstring when I raise in to a downward dog? I'm fairly new to yoga but it's like an intense nerve sensation. The teacher mentions it and I have to be careful cause if I think I could really hurt myself if I don't take it slow. Is it normal?

    submitted by /u/cosmosaurr
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment