• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 7, 2020

    Meditation: Practice the buddha smile (a very light smile), AND walk with your heels slightly off the ground.

    Meditation: Practice the buddha smile (a very light smile), AND walk with your heels slightly off the ground.


    Practice the buddha smile (a very light smile), AND walk with your heels slightly off the ground.

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 09:42 AM PST

    Try this now if you get a chance. You will notice that it's very difficult for your mind to wander.

    Now try your hardest to bring a negative or insecure thought into your mind While maintaining the buddha smile. You will find it's difficult.

    Also try right now while in this state to become unaware and let your mind wander. Same thing right? :)

    NOW, for five minutes, pretend that you're a fully awakened buddha. You are a fully enlightened one. For five minutes, look around in this state. For 5 minutes, wash two dishes. For 5 minutes, do a few tasks in this state.

    A week from now, increase to 6 minutes. Then 7, and so on. If you like this exercise could you please share it on other reddit and Facebook posts and Also with family and friends?

    Image of buddha smiling https://littleletterslinked.com/7-buddhism-principles-to-follow-for-a-happy-life/

    submitted by /u/SpanishIntuition
    [link] [comments]

    Sit Longer

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 04:53 AM PST

    I'm fairly new to meditation, and have averaged sitting about 10-15 minutes a day in practice. Recently I was reading people's stories on this sub about the alleged benefits of practicing for longer periods of time versus shorter ones. Having little experience with long sessions, I was curious whether this would be true for me and wanted to give it a shot. I just finished sitting for 1.5 hours with the help of Sam Harris' app Waking Up, and can happily confirm and recommend this as well.

    I found that the initial 30 minutes or so was a familiar storm of thoughts and emotions. What I wasn't expecting was a softening of these thoughts with the increasing passage of time. By sitting longer than normal, I was able to create a sense of stillness and space for the storm to calm, a feeling that was rather unfamiliar. I also tried softly repeating the mantra "Om" for the first time, and found that it both helped focus my attention and emphasize the stillness whenever I chose silence.

    As I type this out I feel a sense of peace that I can't say I've experienced many times before. If you're on the fence about meditating longer, as I was, then please take this as a warm recommendation to try it. Make the time, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

    submitted by /u/wiind16
    [link] [comments]

    I learned about inner smile from this subreddit and it changed my life.

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 07:12 AM PST

    I try to hold on to that inner smile feeling.

    My eyes see things clearer and I don't judge what I see, I feel grateful instead. I notice color more often.

    My body physically feels warmer and more connected.

    I cannot scientifically vouch for any of these feelings and changes, but I definitely notice differences.

    Thank you for your time.

    submitted by /u/shleemer
    [link] [comments]

    Does self awareness reduce's self consciousness?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 10:22 PM PST

    Meditation and the Taoist Law of Reversed Expectations

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 05:41 PM PST

    I am a fan of the Taoist law of reversed expectations. If you keep filling the cup, it will overflow. If you keep sharpening the knife, it will blunt. Strive to be strong, and you will find yourself weak. Embrace your weakness in order to find your true strength. Embrace fear to find courage.

    I believe the law of reversed expectations is quite valid. If you want to develop physical strength, you have to accept and acknowledge you are not as strong as you could be. You then have to train in a way that respects your existing weakness and therefore does not overtax and injure your muscles. You have to rest between sets. You have to rest between workouts. You actually have to spend more time resting than you spend working out. Even after you have become stronger, even as you challenge yourself to grow further, you still have to know your limitations and submit to them. And finally, gaining strength in one area, such as lifting weights, means that you have to give up "strength" in another area, because you can't do everything, and you will have to make some sacrifices for your training regimen.

    On the other hand, the law of reversed expectations can be taken too far. In order to gain strength, you actually do have to undertake some strength training. This means setting a goal and applying some planning and effort to get there.

    You have to work out. You have to plan your diet. You have to think about and do the right exercises. You cannot just lay around and be a couch potato, eating chips and watching television. In that scenario, you will only weaken. Of course, you might gain a different kind of "strength", like developing a deep knowledge of classic television trivia. But ultimately, if your expectation is to gain physical strength, then the law of reversed expectations will fail if taken too far.

    The same logic applies to any scenario. Do you want to be wealthy? If you try too hard at it, you may very well end up poor. Perhaps you work so hard that you suffer a physical breakdown and become unable to find employment. Perhaps you engage in reckless stock market speculation and lose all of your savings. Maybe you work long hours and ruin your marriage, and you lose a significant amount of your net worth in a divorce. There are many ways to reverse your expectations. But if you want to become wealthy, you are probably going to have to work at it. You are going to have to plan, set goals, and strive.

    People apply the law of reversed expectations to meditation, too. In meditation, if you try too hard to concentrate, you can easily become discouraged and give up. Or you may make the meditation unpleasant, and thereby deprive yourself of the true enjoyment of the experience. For this reason, a lot of people will tell you that meditation should be effortless.

    But on the other hand, the law of reversed expectations can be taken too far. It is okay and perhaps even beneficial to make some degree of effort. Read some books on meditation and try some different techniques. Start visiting a local center or meetup. Set aside some time to practice, and make it a daily routine. Apply your intellect and try to figure out what works and what doesn't.

    Some day we might become so refined that we can meditate without even trying, like a virtuoso on the violin who plays best when playing effortlessly. But in the meantime, there is nothing wrong with making a little mental noise. Except when you start to get frustrated or tense about the whole business. Then maybe its time to meditate in the law of reversed expectations.

    submitted by /u/greenoakforest
    [link] [comments]

    Disconnected from body?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 08:31 PM PST

    Hello everyone, first time poster here. I am fairly new to meditation, i've been meditating off and on for the past 6 months or so. I stretch before hand to make sure i'm loose and comfortable. I have a routine where I close my eyes, breathe, and focus on my breathe and let the thoughts come and acknowledge them, then focus back on the breath. Usually after about 10 minutes or so I become less aware/focused on my body and more focused in my mind (if this makes any sense). I know i'm physically sitting and breathing but I begin to feel like i'm my mind/consciousness? It feels like I can go deeper and deeper into my mind the more I focus and breathe. I don't know if anyone can make sense of this as it's hard to describe, i was just looking to see if anyone has had any similar experiences.

    tldr: after about 10 minutes of mediation i feel disconnected from my body and feel like i'm my consciousness

    submitted by /u/nevercolour
    [link] [comments]

    Meditation is a muscle.

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 08:39 AM PST

    It's not overnight; you have to train it, exercise it. And like exercise it is a practice that only "produces results" through the process. It's a practice and not a sudden breakthrough or solution.

    Like exercise it requires dedication and patience. It will greatly improve your life but only over time.

    submitted by /u/aristhought
    [link] [comments]

    Old memories during meditation

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 02:10 AM PST

    I've meditated on and off for the past ~8 years. Without fail, once I reach that sweet spot of mental clarity and stillness, I always begin to see images from distant memories. They're usually pleasant memories that I've simply forgotten, and likely wouldn't have ever remembered outside of meditation.

    Does anyone else experience this?

    Have a great day!

    submitted by /u/littlegreeneyes
    [link] [comments]

    Consistency w Practise

    Posted: 07 Mar 2020 01:18 AM PST

    Some tips to stay consistent with Meditative Practise. 1. Practise Seated Meditation daily. 2. Allocate a fixed time duration, sit anytime during the day, but sit. 3. Maintain Mindfulness by noting breath sensations at the tip of the nostrils. 4. Use breath sensations as a vantage point to observe sensory experience arise, happen and pass away. 5. Don't judge the quality of your session. 6. The bad sessions are the ones you miss.

    Enjoy. 😎

    — SpiderAlpha33

    submitted by /u/SpiderAlpha33
    [link] [comments]

    Hey can someone experienced please take the time to read this.

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 11:24 PM PST

    I've been meditating for 2 months now, the 1st time i tried it i had a kundalini experience not fully but my body felt like there's a fire inside and felt the universal love but didn't completely blast through for some reason. Anyway since then I've started meditating every with the intention of getting that beautiful experience again.

    It started out by listening to music and going through stories inside my head to not think about other stuff.

    About 5 days later i would start to concentrate on a certain thing for minutes to not get lost in thought, there was still some thoughts that come and go and i got stuck in some to try to make the ending of the thought comforting then continue meditation.

    As i progressed i noticed the ringing ear sound that 1st appeared while doing a wim hoff breathing method (i heared it 1 year ago at night and didn't realize it was the AUM sound) so i start concentrating on it and feel it's frequencies. During this phase it was still kinda doing meditation for its benefits so perhaps an egoistic desire was there.

    Later on too much attention on this sound gave me headaches that only went away by releasing semen out of my body i realized it was too much energy on the 3rd eye chakra and other ones might be locked so it got stuck there so i started specific chakra meditations from time to time and then i had i the ability to actually not think about anything with concentration on a specific thing.

    I stared to really enjoy meditation it goes for 40 minutes sometimes, the longer i stay the better the feeling is afterwards stuff like just starting and rubbing my face on a carpet because of how beautiful it is without a thought.

    Now i get into the meditative state faster but i noticed that I've started to ignore all thoughts, not like ignore them but I'm having no reaction to anything and whenever a thought shows it itself with a problem i would then respond "yea maybe that could happen, maybe not" with a smile and it goes away and then i realized that it all started with wanting another kundalini experience which was wrong and all i had to is just be present.

    Only today I've started to think about an issue, what if it's ego that's lingering and saying all these things, i don't prevent thoughts i actually let them be but only the 1st phase of a thought when i feel like going into presence i listen to the first part of it and then go into concentration or presence mode, which seems very fulfilling and true but all these events accelerated in a period of 2 months perhaps due to being in the house alone most of these 2 months or due to having experiences with psychedelics before (wish i would never take again now i realized they were to show you the end of the tunnel but you have to go there by urself after that) so if anyone can tell me any tips about the level I'm in now and if this issue that I've been ignoring, the thought that hey what if this is egoistic when i silence my mind after a thought. Because from what I've learned is that silencing the mind and stopping the talk is the best way to go since they wont grow, but what if, just what if the ego had a capability to disguise itself as silence this is the idea that i need to understand from anyone experienced enough it's not a big issue but i couldn't find anything on the web the feeling i get when i go into silence is beautiful still.

    submitted by /u/MradCryser
    [link] [comments]

    Need Help with Posture

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 03:28 PM PST

    Hi, been trying to have good posture while sitting but after ten minutes (or less) I'm slouching. Half of my formal practice is paying attention to the slouch but it becomes hard to do other types of meditations when my focus is on my back and shoulders all the time. I've heard people saying they had permanently good posture after doing determination sits. I don't do determination sits presently. I know what proper posture is, it's just my body won't do it. Also, I have no core strength, lol. Any ideas on how to get better?

    submitted by /u/neUTeriS
    [link] [comments]

    What exactly is the point of mantra meditation? Especially in relation to mindfulness meditation

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 09:43 PM PST

    Round Zafu or Crescent Zafu for sitting?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 09:43 PM PST

    I want to sit in burmese pose with a zafu under my legs to help me have a more comfortable straight posture. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with round or crescent zafus to help get them into this pose?

    submitted by /u/AutumnSail
    [link] [comments]

    How to Meditate

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 09:00 PM PST

    How to meditate: Observe silently... everything... thoughts, surroundings, physical/tactile feelings, and emotions without judgement or bias. This is the state of things. You don't even have to identify with them. I am much more than just this body, these thoughts and emotions. Breath manually, consciously, and rest your attention there. Don't worry about time (or anything). Ease into it. Helps me to just think of myself going into meditation for the day, I'm not in a rush to get there, it comes effortlessly (could take a minute or a few. Patience is usually a requirement for bliss, not instant gratification, pleasure, I mean true BLISS). Better not to look at meditation as a means to an end. Let what happens happen WITHOUT EXPECTATION. That is key. Meditate as long as you feel like it. Eyes open focusing on a spot on the wall is a successful, easy technique in my experience. Build that focus, powerful. Bring it all here and now. Stop thinking and losing total (exclusive even) awareness of the present moment, this breath, not the last, this one. Doing whatever you feel like doing, even as simple as sitting or standing is a good way to start (this last sentence feels strange to type and word this way but someone may know what I mean and benefit, for example you may have been sitting all week, on a long drive possibly, and really just feel like standing, but you always hear that you need to sit down to meditate. You are much better off standing, and will find meditating easier standing up than forcing yourself to sit in an uncomfortable position. Could be anything but simply doing what you feel like doing is a good first step. Could be cleaning the bathroom and now once that's done you have peace of mind and can let go of all that stress, anger, baggage that is doing nothing but weighing you down you haven't gotten rid of because you haven't been successfully meditating daily)

    submitted by /u/SoulCrushingBass420
    [link] [comments]

    Dumb question... how do I get songs to stop repeating in my head?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 02:44 PM PST

    I've been practicing meditation for ~a year now, it's been getting easier to clear my mind and I find myself able to let go of thoughts with great ease... except music.

    For whatever reason music is the one thing I cannot figure out how to let go. I don't even particularly enjoy the songs that play, some riff or line from a song I hear will just loop endlessly in my mind. It's very distracting and I can never get anywhere in my mind once a music loop starts.

    Any advice is much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/WookieJesuz
    [link] [comments]

    Physical pain for mental strength

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 07:53 PM PST

    POSSIBLE TRIGGER WARNING ⚠️

    I see in movies/books/... how people, mainly those well-versed in martial arts, are able to experience physical pain with the mental ability to be at peace with it. I was wondering if anyone has tried this as a tool for mental strength, I tried to look it up but everything was just self-harm prevention which this wouldn't be from a place of depression or desire to die but just pure desire to increase the strength of ones mind.

    submitted by /u/Logan_922
    [link] [comments]

    Vibration in my Brain and Lightheadedness

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 04:02 PM PST

    Hi all. İt is my First post, so if i have mistakes i am sorry firstly. And my native language is not English, this could led me be grammatical handicapped. Sorry for this too. My question and my curious about meditation is that while i am meditating, after 10-15 minutes, i start feeling like my whole body becomes my brain. İ feel i am consisting of only my brain. And in my Brain, there is violent vibration, and i feel very dizzy. Is it normal? And if it is not, what should i do? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Opsins
    [link] [comments]

    Starter questions

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 11:00 AM PST

    So I use to be big into psychedelics and I loved the feeling of peace and connection to the universe that they brought. When I read the post of this subreddit it seems like a lot of you guys get similar feelings from just meditating. I'd love to feel that connection and peace everyday and without drugs. So I recently started meditating (only 5 minutes, but trying to go longer soon) and I do feel a little peace but not anywhere close to what you guys are describing. So I want to really dive into meditation and stop half assing it but I have some questions.

    1. When I meditate, I put on meditation music. Is that stopping me from reaching the full benefits. It seems like a lot of you do it in complete silence.
    2. Are there different forms of meditation? I just focus on breathing in and breathing out but I've read some people think about positivity in their life and think about how they are currently feeling. This confuses me because I thought my goal was to have close to no thoughts.
    3. For someone who feels like they have ADD(Can never sit for long) do you have any tips or tricks for keeping my ass planted?
    4. About how long did it take you guys to start feeling these huge benefits that I'm reading about? I don't want to take any short cuts and I'm not hoping for an answer that's easy, just trying to get educated.

    -I know I could find all these answers if I did enough research online but I really like this community and would like to get anecdotal answers. Thank you all!

    submitted by /u/SkizzyEazy
    [link] [comments]

    I feel a strong resistance to meditation.

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 07:32 PM PST

    Ever since I started guided meditation in January, it's been really difficult. My goal has been 5-10 minutes every day, but it's been 2 months and I only meditated 18 of those days. This is because I feel a strong mental resistance to it. I hate having to sit down when I have so much to do. I hate having to observe my thoughts because I enjoy the feeling of my mind racing, even if it's not present. I have noticed no result or benefit from my sessions because my schedule is so inconsistent. Can I overcome my lack of interest, or is meditation not for me?

    submitted by /u/NikW04
    [link] [comments]

    God bless this reddit group

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 12:32 PM PST

    After reading about the benefits of meditating for 30+ minutes. I decided to give it a go. I'm currently on day two, and last night I was more relaxed to sleep than ever before!!!! I noticed when I would wake up in the middle of the night my mind wouldn't be racing, and I was able to turn over and fall back asleep peacefully. Thank you to those that post motivational words, because they don't go unnoticed!!!!

    submitted by /u/gabecinematics
    [link] [comments]

    Type of meditation

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 06:25 PM PST

    Hello,

    I am looking for a meditation where I can actively explore my subconscious.

    What is the best for this?

    It would be great if there was a lot of truth searching involved as what happened with mindfulness meditation.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/sewgold-grow
    [link] [comments]

    Okay boys and girls, here's one for ya

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 06:22 AM PST

    I enjoy meditating. I don't have a routine, I just do it when I can or when I'm bored. Standing in lines, waiting for an appointment, during lunch at work but mostly at home in the man cave. I have a recliner that my large six and half foot frame fits in. I spend a good bit of time in that chair with my three dogs. All Shitzus.

    When I started meditating I found distraction everywhere so each session was alone with the door closed. Of late I've found it more challenging to try to meditate with as much going on as possible. Out in nature with 50 different song birds, a rushing river, a train, cars, geese... It has been rewarding.

    Recently....like yesterday, I attempted to meditate with three small dogs laying on me. Cute little 12 pound dogs that love me unconditionally. I'm their favorite dog bed. I snore so loud in this chair I rattle the windows but it doesn't bother them a bit. Once settled nothing save someone coming through the front door will make them move and sometime not even that.

    So yesterday I came home and sat down alone in the man cave and meditated for awhile. It was a good session before it was interrupted by the phone. After a short discussion with the wife i went to let the dogs out and we ended up all settled in the chair. I started meditating. First time with the dogs. I felt like I was already warmed up as I slipped down quickly and started moving energy.

    I had one dog on my right hip, one on my left and the third on my knees. It's their usual spots where they always lay.

    As the energy moved I could feel the heat from their bodies and.....I know this may sound crazy, but their energy as well. It became intense. With each breath, each flow they seemed to ignite like flame growing. The one on my knees started panting and couldn't sit still. The one on my left climbed into my lap facing me and the one on my right climbed on my chest. Talk about distraction.

    I was worried about the one on my knees as he's old and not in the best condition. He got down on the floor and just kept panting. He's okay now but I think I'll leave them all out of the meditation from now on.

    Has anyone had an experience with their pets or animals before?

    submitted by /u/DogByte25
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone’s eyes get brighter?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 01:22 PM PST

    I feel like my eyes look way more alive since I started meditating. I assume it's because I'm no longer fearing the past or the future and remaining present. So I look and feel way more lively. Plants and trees also look more like HD? my vision feels more crisp too.

    submitted by /u/tolerancesolo
    [link] [comments]

    What do you guys think about meditating during flow state?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 04:44 PM PST

    I recently interviewed an artist about patience. If you're interested you can watch it here - secret to patience we uncovered this concept around reaching flow state and how that's a process of tuning out to tune in. I couldn't help but connect that back to mediation. That's exactly how mediation feels for me. Have any of you tried meditating while achieving flow state? I'd love to hear your experience.

    submitted by /u/thegreatkind
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment