Yoga: I did it! |
- I did it!
- 6 months into the practice! Just wanted to share my journey so far!
- Teaching my first yoga class Saturday!
- Had so much fun I went twice in the same day!
- Parivrtta Prasarita Padottanasana – Wide-Legged Forward Twist
- [COMP] When I do a handstand I notice my back is not straight. Where do you recommend I send my focus to straighten my back?
- New to yoga, sore/sensitive toes
- Bikram branded studios and teachers: What is your personal reaction to the latest documentary film and have you considered releasing the affiliation?
- Indian Yoga Association Vs Yoga Alliance
- Yoga pillows for big yogis
- Your favorite app and why
- Toughest hot yoga classes?
- TMJ/ Neck openers
- What is the point of the mat?
- Strong urges to run to the bathroom?
- Yoga with a cold
- Career advice for an inflexible yogi
- Yoga and EDS?
| Posted: 09 Mar 2020 07:23 AM PDT I went from a 5 second plank to a downward dog and held it for a few more seconds! I'm a super beginner and I know this is a little accomplishment, but I am so proud of myself :) I'm doing Yoga with Adriene and I'm on day 5 of the Dedicate session. Downward dog and plank have always been the banes of my existence and those two are usually the positions that smother my confidence, but today I did it! Ah! I feel so good! Namafuckinste :) [link] [comments] |
| 6 months into the practice! Just wanted to share my journey so far! Posted: 09 Mar 2020 02:04 PM PDT I've just passed 6 months since I began yoga at my local studio, and I'm getting close to my 100 sessions mark! I started yoga back in Septemer mainly because I felt stressed/overwhelmed frequently through my undergrad, and going into my first year as a PhD an intern manager I had over the summer said that yoga kept her same during grad school so I wanted to give it a shot. Prior to this I was pretty out of shape other than some occasional hiking with friends. My first yoga class was unlike anything I thought yoga was going to be (seems to be a common theme agmonst people's first time doing yoga, I did not anticipate the heavy sweating & intensity lol) but I loved it so much after another few classes I signed up for a membership with the studio, they do hot vinyasa, ashtanga, blend vinyasa, slow burn, and yin classes. I started with blend vinyasa/slow burn but now I add in hot vinyasa and yin classes too. I started going about 2x a week back then, though in the past two months I've been kicking it up to 3-5x a week. One thing I've for sure noticed is that 2x a week gives slooowwww progress. Granted I started from little to no strength, but I found that as I started going 3+ times a week I was getting stronger faster, and that holding planks and even working into crow pose were getting easier. Going 4x a week is pretty regular for me now, and if i can make 5x a week its awesome. I started with a cheap Amazon foam mat for my yoga practice, and honestly I think every beginner should start with a cheap mat just to make sure you enjoy the practice for investing good money for a mat. The only drawback is that my $25 Amazon mat totally started falling apart around 4 months in. Just this last month it got to the point where I had to get a new mat (a lululemon 3mm reversible, $70 as per a fellow yogi at my studio's recommendation- so far I love it!) because I was slipping all over the place in class. I think once you get more into the practice you can REALLY appreciate how much a good mat makes a difference! Lol So far the benefits of yoga have been amazing. I feel so much more physically and mentally connected with myself and it definitely shows in my everyday life too. Subtle things like sitting up straighter, getting better sleep, and even though the grad classes and research are getting "harder" I dont feel the need to be stressed which let's me really work at my best. I'm so incredibly grateful that I decided to go to that first yoga class, it's been nothing but positive in my life! There's some walls in my practice that from day 1 I still struggle with. My shoulders were so weak when I started and although they're no doubt stronger, I still struggle with that aspect. It's like once one pose gets easier, you hit another level with it that makes it just as hard as when you first started lol. Like I can hold planks and do fallen triangle now, but transitioning between the two or perfecting my chaturanga makes me just as shaky as when I was starting out. But its something I love about the practice-- theres always a way to go deeper into the pose and the work is never really done. The community is another bonus to the practice, I've found a group of instructors who I love to go to for class, I've gotten some friends through the practice, and being able to do my practice without fear or judgment of others just makes the whole experience that much better. In short I've been LOVING my yoga practice and I cant wait to see where it takes me. I already said this but man... I'm so grateful to have started this practice and for this community. 💖 [link] [comments] |
| Teaching my first yoga class Saturday! Posted: 09 Mar 2020 08:17 PM PDT I've been an avid practitioner for 8-ish years but I've just finished teacher training and doing my first public class on Saturday. I'm so excited to share the same joy I get from yoga. Is there anything you absolutely dislike in your yoga class? Peak pose is dolphin to make way for pinch's for people who want to invert. [link] [comments] |
| Had so much fun I went twice in the same day! Posted: 09 Mar 2020 09:33 AM PDT So TLDR I met this girl out at a bar last week who happened to tell me she taught acro yoga at a local studio. So me being open to new experiences, especially yoga related ones, I decided to give it a try. Needless to say I was not disappointed, it's super silly, but being suspended upside down stretching almost brought me to tears. Like the title says, I went twice in the same day cuz it's just so awesome! Has anyone here tried it or want to because of my story? [link] [comments] |
| Parivrtta Prasarita Padottanasana – Wide-Legged Forward Twist Posted: 09 Mar 2020 12:28 AM PDT Parivrtta Prasarita Padottanasana – Wide-Legged Forward Twist Begin in Wide-Legged Forward Bend. Bring your left hand to the centre (widen your stance as much as needed to bring your hand to the ground). Twist from your core strength, keeping your shoulder blades are drawn in toward each other and your navel strongly engaged. Extend your right arm up. Bend your knees as much as you need for hamstring and lower back comfort. The emphasis is on lengthening the spine, gradually, rather than pulling the spine in any way. Draw your shoulders away from your ears and allow your neck to relax. Focus on opening your upper chest, being mindful not to push into the twist but rather to expand into it. Eyes are open, the gaze is toward your extended hand. Wide-Legged Forward Twist releases the lower back, lengthens the hamstrings, stimulates the digestive system, detoxifies and massages the digestive organs and develops a grounded and uplifted energy 🙏🙏 [link] [comments] |
| Posted: 09 Mar 2020 10:23 AM PDT |
| New to yoga, sore/sensitive toes Posted: 09 Mar 2020 05:53 PM PDT Hi All! I am new to yoga, my sister and I are practicing 4-5 times a week using an app. It's going pretty well for the most part and I'm feeling benefits... it's been about 5-6 weeks. I'm having an issue with my toes, it kind of feels like when you learn to play guitar - how your fingers get sore until you build a callous... but my big toes.... especially sensitive 'curling toes under and move to downward dog'. I can get around it by not following that instruction (curl toes under) and just mcgivering my feet to the right place but I'm worried about potentially causing a different injury. So, I'm asking... is this typical? (like guitar fingers) What have people done to get around it - presuming it will go away eventually Thanks.. :) [link] [comments] |
| Posted: 09 Mar 2020 10:29 AM PDT |
| Indian Yoga Association Vs Yoga Alliance Posted: 09 Mar 2020 09:23 AM PDT Does anyone have any background on the reputation of these two certifying bodies? I am more familiar with Yoga Alliance which seems to be a reputable certification for yoga teachers. However I am looking at a 200 hour yoga teacher training in India (at Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram in Chennai) and they are certified by the Indian Yoga Assocation. If I want to go ahead and teach in Europe/the UK would this be a good certification to have? [link] [comments] |
| Posted: 09 Mar 2020 12:12 PM PDT Hey folks! I started teacher training a couple of weeks ago (pretty much on a whim) and I have been unable to sit comfortably during long lectures. My lower back is screaming in pain. I'm 6'5" and around 250 lbs and I have extreme flexibility issues (can't sit back on my heels and my hips are super tight). So sitting crosslegged is also painful, since my knees are always above my hips. Someone suggested buying the Hugger Mugger bench and sitting on it crosslegged, I was also considering buying two meditation pillows (5" each in height) and just stacking them, maybe with a block too if my knees are still above my elbows when I try to sit. Any recommendations? [link] [comments] |
| Posted: 09 Mar 2020 09:37 AM PDT I've tried many apps to do yoga at home and YouTube channels.. What are your favorite apps and YT channels? And what makes you liking them so much? I would like to do 10-20mins every morning, and a bit longer sequences when possible (weekends or evenings..) I love DownDog for its simplicity and variety, but I'm open to check more... Also paid options work! Thanks :) [link] [comments] |
| Posted: 09 Mar 2020 02:23 PM PDT New to yoga, and am in love after four classes! I've been going to Southern Flow, which is synonymous with Power Yoga, I believe. I've been blessed by being a gymnast for many years, along with years of tai chi. Coming into yoga totally new, both have helped me tremendously in finding my flow, balance, and breathing. I leave fairly exhausted, yet rejuvenated. My joints already feel better, stress levels have decreased, and I can go on and on! My question is- what in your opinion is the hardest form of yoga to practice? [link] [comments] |
| Posted: 09 Mar 2020 04:56 AM PDT been having some posture issues over the past few months. That, in combination with stress has had my neck muscles and TMJ fighting each other. Would there be any stretch/ pose anyone can recommend? My necks looking forward to the responses. Namaste! [link] [comments] |
| Posted: 09 Mar 2020 01:22 PM PDT What purpose does it serve? Do you really need a mat, wouldn't it be fine to do yoga on a plain ol'hardwood floor? [link] [comments] |
| Strong urges to run to the bathroom? Posted: 09 Mar 2020 09:27 AM PDT I just found out why I have to pee all the time. I think it's because I have a lot of pressure in my butt and private area due to gas and not fully releasing my bowel movements. I breathe in through my stomach and I have a really strong to use the toilet. Like I have to run to the bathroom. This has happened a lot. Basically in public doing the potty dance because I couldn't deal with the pressure down there.... There's a lot of pressure in my stomach all the time. Now I'm just embarrassed. I know we all go to the bathroom but I feel like a little kid..... Anyone have any advice? [link] [comments] |
| Posted: 09 Mar 2020 08:08 AM PDT Good Morning! I joined a hot yoga studio a year ago. I love it. I am getting better at it. I only make it about once a week lately, because I work and have little kids. It would be bad-mom of me to pick them up from school and then leave thirty minutes later to go get zen. Anywho, this last week I've had a cold. Hard to do nose-to-nose breathing when you can't pass air through your nose . . . can't wait until this passes! [link] [comments] |
| Career advice for an inflexible yogi Posted: 08 Mar 2020 09:35 PM PDT Pretty much as the title says. I would love to develop my practice further, but I'd imagine a YTT isn't going to be the right path since I am quite inflexible. I know I could maybe be an ashtanga teacher as I've read that often the teacher will expect you to know the primary series etc.. but I was wondering if theres any advice that I could pursue that doesn't involve me barely being able to touch my toes in front of a class! Thanks yogis! [link] [comments] |
| Posted: 08 Mar 2020 11:02 PM PDT I've got Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. For those of you that don't know, it's a connective tissue disorder. It causes many difficulties, including regularly dislocated joints. I keep hearing that yoga helps to strengthen muscles to keep joints in place. I can't do any stretches of any kind though. Stretching too much is bad because my joints are already so loose that dislocations can happen extremely easily. (My shoulder was dislocated for 3 days last week after doing the strenuous activity of handing my server my plate after I finished eating.) Does anyone have any advice on a yoga program that might help me? [link] [comments] |
| You are subscribed to email updates from yoga. To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. | Email delivery powered by Google |
| Google, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, United States | |
No comments:
Post a Comment