Meditation: Weekly Discussion - March 09 2020 |
- Weekly Discussion - March 09 2020
- It's amazing how much time you waste trying to fall asleep. Recently I learned that by listening to the same relaxing music every night I can train my brain to get into sleep mode. With this playlist I set my Spotify app on sleep timer and I'm out in 10 minutes!
- Meditated for one month for 10-20 mins a day - I feel a different person already
- I’m 19 & One Meditation has Saved me
- Meditation made me realise that i am emotionally broke.
- What I Learned After Meditating for 1 Hour Everyday for 30 Days
- I feel like I'm meditating when I swim.
- I am a weak person mentally and physically.
- A kōan for this week
- I feel the urge to cry almost constantly
- What are these colors and moving shapes I see when I close my eyes and meditate?
- best Headspace course for serious illness?
- Hey there. I've just watched this video, and thought about sharing it with you guys. Dr.K (a psychiatrist that worked on Harvard Medical School, between other institutions) gives an amazing explanation about meditation during his livestream. Totally worth checking out!
- Question about transcendental meditation.
- Meditation of Peace for the World in need
- What postion do you like meditating most? What do you like to play in the back, if anything?
- From black to white. I chose the third.
- Totally Lost
- Can meditation help my with stress (like during tests or job interviews)?
- Why does silence make you uncomfortable?
- I am one of the everything
- Meditation for Complete beginners
- If science has shown meditation to increase many positive traits, including compassion and intelligence, why is it false to assume a meditator may be a more compassionate/intelligent person than a non-meditator?
- I’m staying in my friend’s cabin in the woods for four days. Is it possible to do an online mediation retreat? Do you know of any good YouTube playlists or websites?
| Weekly Discussion - March 09 2020 Posted: 09 Mar 2020 08:09 AM PDT This is a reoccuring thread for questions relating to your practice and discussion around your experiences. Questions Ask questions relating to your practice, the theory of meditation, various traditions and lineages of thought, or practical tips. If you're new, please read our FAQ before posting, as it contains a wealth of information that all of us should come back to occasionally. Discussion Also use this thread for a more free-form discussion of your experiences and other tidbits that might not warrant their own full post. Use this space to connect with the /r/meditation community, it won't be heavily moderated. Also check out the monthly meditation challenge. [link] [comments] |
| Posted: 09 Mar 2020 02:58 PM PDT |
| Meditated for one month for 10-20 mins a day - I feel a different person already Posted: 09 Mar 2020 01:55 PM PDT First of all I'm really glad that I found this subreddit, all the great knowledge here and the great people. Thank you a lot After one month of one to two 10-15 mins a session every day for the last month, I feel differently the way I see stuff, I even started noticing things about me, how I can think positively now, the way how I started to love myself I used to be unconfident, everyone sees me as someone who is very confident, but I was struggling, now I'm still not that very much confident but struggling is not the right word for it. One of the times after the meditation session I was like thinking what a person I am, the potential that I have and how I am wasting myself with unnecessary stress and anxiety, my attitude, the way I think and my self-esteem changed after that session to the better. I feel different already, and this is only the START!! Thanks for reading. [link] [comments] |
| I’m 19 & One Meditation has Saved me Posted: 10 Mar 2020 01:37 AM PDT So I turned 19 today( not even concerned about my birthday ) & I been through ups & done last few months but ever since I began To meditate in the little time I have. It had a Tremendous effect on me and I was raised a JW actually . Jehovah's Witness's believe that you should meditate the Bible, not a mantra. My Dad puts pressure on me to become one Everyday and I never felt true love within The Organization at all. Yesterday my dad has a Study with me explaining that I need to start going before Armageddon comes & destroys the wicked people. Every time he talks to me about this or anything in Jehovah Witnessing reality, I may come down & loose energy . Makes me feel less good of myself even though I accomplished so much . I'm a 19 y/old who just learned about Semen Retention (100 day streak relapse ),with a really good job ,best shape of my life-at the gym, & I have self discipline on who I surround my self with . After that study with my Dad .... I wanted to forget EVERYTHING he just discussed with me ( as it effects my my day) I opened up Sunlight ☀️ in my room & I Went into a Deep 10 minute ( Secret of the Golden Flower ) and I felt more Energy then I've ever have. I was able to really become happy within the moment . I felt what people call "your Higher Self ". I immediately had no fear , & was the Most Happeist I felt in my life . I'm not sure if I charged up a " Chakra " It felt like I was connected to something beyond me, I knew Everything within & was able to answer a few Mysterious questions I've had my life . It was Amazing . My higher self spoke to myself " Why have we not discovered this Happiness a long time ago." It was really good to feel positive energy within. I took a extremely cold shower after the Meditation as well & it boosted my Energy Even More! I was such in the moment . My past was filled with anger , jealousy, porn, problems , & so much evil. Now I feel I have a key 🔑 Hope you guys enjoy this story of mines and Keep & Procter your Energy! [link] [comments] |
| Meditation made me realise that i am emotionally broke. Posted: 09 Mar 2020 04:00 PM PDT In my previous post, I was exploring meditation to help me grieve with my breakup. The context of breakup - we were in a relationship and we wanted to move in and he dumped me. As i was meditating, i was conscious of the fact that growing up, i had no avenues to explore being gay. Being raised in a country and society that is unforgiving about being gay. I led a life mostly alone, alone being not able to communicate my true feelings, desires, opinions that is centered around my sexuality. Being mid thirties, on hindsight, i lost a lot of time. And the breakup which happened years ago still haunts me. I could see that i have invested heavily on what was meant to be freely given in a non judgmental society in that relationship and when that relationship blew up, my whole world blew up. That's what meditation showed me when i was grieving. I don't think i was grieving for the person per se but i was grieving for the loss of acceptance which i really wanted growing up. I could see myself emotionally bankrupt right now and i'm avoiding going out with people because i don't have enough credits to spend on others. Logically, the question is, how do you meditate to regain self love? I guess doing my current hobbies is not helping me grow and giving me that extra sense of worth and love. So i'm pretty much lost. I gather using hook up apps is a poor substitute and frankly speaking i don't think i know what i am doing to be honest. Any thoughts would be appreciated. [link] [comments] |
| What I Learned After Meditating for 1 Hour Everyday for 30 Days Posted: 09 Mar 2020 03:56 PM PDT I challenged myself to try meditation and I knew I wouldn't take the challenge serious if it wasn't big (in my eyes). I would dabble in meditation once every couple months the past couple years, but I wanted to dive into the deep end and find out what all the hype is really about. What a great decision. I didn't really know what to expect. I researched the potential benefits I could experience, but there are dozens. I found a handful that I was hoping to feel and set out on my mission of self-improvement and self-realization. Here is what I learned: Don't force it: Early on, I would try to force myself to feel some of those benefits (reduced stress & anxiety, reduced memory-loss, etc.), but I found myself getting discouraged when I didn't experience them. When I just let the sessions unfold as they will, I felt better than I ever thought I could feel. I had more mental clarity, I could stay focused on a single thought at a time instead of my mind going all over the place, and I was more self-aware. There were some sessions where a thought would pop into my head and instead of acting on that thought, I was able to consider why that particular thought came to mind. I followed that path and felt like I got deep down to my core belief system. It was truly incredible and life changing. Try different styles of meditation: You can simply google "styles of meditation" and find out that there are so many different types. If you're someone who maybe tried meditation before and couldn't get the hang of it, don't worry. You may have just been doing a style that isn't right for you right now. Try a new style and try it in a different environment. I personally liked guided meditations on the Insight Timer app. I would lay in my bed, in the dark, and turn on a guided meditation and just drift away. Clean your room: I like to think of meditation like cleaning your room. I saw this analogy on a YouTube video but can't remember what the video is called. Basically, if you don't clean your room for a while, once you start to clean it you will uncover hidden corners and messes of your room. It will look messier than when you initially began. But if you begin going through with the cleaning and stay consistent, then the room takes on a whole new appearance and vibration. Even if you think your sessions aren't going well because you're thinking a lot, maybe negative thoughts, just know that each time you sit down to mediate or "clean your room" you are making progress. You're slowly changing yourself and your perspective. I'm still new to this and have a lot to learn, but I'm really excited to be starting this journey. I hope someone finds this information useful. I think it could be particularly useful for beginners or someone considering trying meditation. [link] [comments] |
| I feel like I'm meditating when I swim. Posted: 10 Mar 2020 01:11 AM PDT Today I had another wonderful session; its so refreshing and dare I say, more satisfying than most of my meditating sessions. It's this feeling I get where I feel like I could go on-and-on for the entire day. I don't get it all the time when I swim, actually barely half the time. During the other half, I think too much about how fast I should go or what's the proper method to move the hands, feet, breathe, etc. Those times are noticeably different because I get tired easily and the entire session feels forced and tedious. It's when the mind reaches a certain state of calmness (although not completely devoid of chatter), and the body loosens up and just follows the waves, that I find the session to be very spiritual. [link] [comments] |
| I am a weak person mentally and physically. Posted: 10 Mar 2020 01:51 AM PDT I am about to turn 26 and my whole life I have been struggling with anxiety. I did everything, I have pushed myself a lot. I have gotten better outwardly, I can function properly in the society. But deep down I know I am weak. I have no desire to improve myself, i tried meditating but idk even know if its going to help me. I just feel weak all the time, no matter how much I try. I don't understand what should I do when I did everything to get better. [link] [comments] |
| Posted: 09 Mar 2020 06:18 PM PDT |
| I feel the urge to cry almost constantly Posted: 09 Mar 2020 12:13 PM PDT This is a daily occurrence, I am usually on the verge of crying at any given moment. I have meditated before but have failed to make it a habit, I would like to build up to that but I don't want to associate sadness with a meditation practice. As of right now I am 10 minutes out from my last bout of crying, I did it in the bathroom on campus. People heard. I would like advice on how to begin getting my emotions somewhat under control, I don't want to continue crying every day. I apologize if this is not a topic for this sub. [link] [comments] |
| What are these colors and moving shapes I see when I close my eyes and meditate? Posted: 09 Mar 2020 02:46 PM PDT I'm fairly new to meditation (3-4 months on and off) but I've noticed that every time I meditate and stare into the "black" that I see when I close my eyes, I start noticing slight abstract patterns and lights. It's usually only in the green, purple and white color and comes and goes. It can either be swirls, lines of color that disappear, or sometimes random flashes. Is this just something scientific from my eyes flashing because of lack of stimuli? [link] [comments] |
| best Headspace course for serious illness? Posted: 10 Mar 2020 12:51 AM PDT Hi - can you recommend a series that would be helpful for navigating through a difficult illness? I saw the one for cancer, but that's not the issue. Thanks. [link] [comments] |
| Posted: 09 Mar 2020 08:13 PM PDT |
| Question about transcendental meditation. Posted: 09 Mar 2020 08:05 PM PDT Howdy y'all! So I have been meditating for a while and it's changed my life! However, I keep on hearing something being passed around. I keep hearing about this thing called "transcendental meditation". I'm having trouble understanding what it is can anybody please explain to me what it is? All I know about it is that two of my favorite artist (Andy Kaufman and David Lynch) partake in it. TL;DR: What's transcendental meditation and what exactly does it do? [link] [comments] |
| Meditation of Peace for the World in need Posted: 09 Mar 2020 02:49 PM PDT Hello everyone! Given that this kind of prayer/meditation is always a good custom, I think we can all join together to send light on the world and humanity, in order to help those in need to overcome their fears and ordeals. If you want to join me, what I usually do is the following: I find this exercise very satisfying and regenerating, and also very helpful to help those that our hand cannot reach. Thanks for reading this. [link] [comments] |
| What postion do you like meditating most? What do you like to play in the back, if anything? Posted: 09 Mar 2020 11:09 PM PDT I'm just getting into meditation and it helps me a lot with my anxiety and depression. When I feel very down or overly anxious at home, I'll go home and lay down or sit in a criss cross position and play nature sounds on my speaker. I would like to hear how you guys do it so I can experiment a bit. I love this so much. It really does help me calm down. [link] [comments] |
| From black to white. I chose the third. Posted: 09 Mar 2020 11:05 PM PDT Attach and involved (karma, bondage and suffering) Attached and not involved (perpetual fight, conflict and dis-ease) Not attached and involved (Middle way) Not attached and not involved (Buddha's way) [link] [comments] |
| Posted: 09 Mar 2020 10:36 PM PDT I like to think I'm a decent learner at most things but meditation makes me feel extremely dumb. I keep watching videos from experts and the more they explain it the more lost I feel. Present moment awareness. Focus on your breath. It's okay if your mind wanders, just bring your awareness back to the now. Be okay with how you are. There is no way meditation should look. It all sounds really amorphous and conceptual and my brain is majorly struggling to "get it". I guess I'm the type that needs to understand something inside out and figure out how it works. I feel like therapists are telling me to not ask questions and just believe in the process, but how can I do that when I feel like I'm missing all the pieces to understand the process? It seems like everyone use these big words like cultivate, mindfulness, radical acceptance, non-striving but these feel like they're in another universe to me. Is there a Layman's way to explain meditation to a beginner? (It's basically the practice of how to connect your running mind with your body so you don't spend your life worrying about the past or future, right?) Maybe it's just semantics...does anyone else feel completely lost? [link] [comments] |
| Can meditation help my with stress (like during tests or job interviews)? Posted: 09 Mar 2020 09:53 PM PDT |
| Why does silence make you uncomfortable? Posted: 09 Mar 2020 08:56 PM PDT Why does silence make you uncomfortable? I often get frustrated with people trying to force conversation on me just because my silence gives them anxiety. In this video, I discuss why it's great to be quiet. [link] [comments] |
| Posted: 09 Mar 2020 06:49 PM PDT In a mere twelve minutes, I went from being stressed and controlled by the world to calm and one with the air. We rely on air every single day. Every breath. Every piece of food we eat. Everything. Water contains oxygen. It is one with the air. It flows, and reacts to the air. It is sound. It produces sound. After my body disappeared, and my mind became one with the air, I finally felt free. My consciousness spread across the world. Yet I noticed nothing in particular. I was one of the everything. Every breath continued to expand my consciousness. And then my alarm went off. I pulled out of those blissful moments of peaceful silence and euphoria. Yet I am still one with the air. I am one of the everything. [link] [comments] |
| Meditation for Complete beginners Posted: 09 Mar 2020 06:10 PM PDT |
| Posted: 09 Mar 2020 11:18 AM PDT I understand that everyone is naturally born with different levels of intelligence and compassion, so a non-meditator could naturally be more apt in intelligence or compassion than regular meditator. But if you're born in the average range for both of these traits as most of us are, isn't it highly likely that those who meditate are on average higher in these traits than those who don't? It also follows that comparing yourself to others is completely unhelpful in your pursuit of personal transformation and it would likely be impossible for you to accurately asses someone else's levels of these traits to use to compare to your own actions. The issue for me is that I use meditation to better myself. I use it to become more caring, more intelligent, more focused, and happier. Many would argue that meditation isn't about getting anywhere or changing yourself, it's about accepting yourself in the way you are and letting go of the pursuit of goals to simply be. The thing is, you DO turn into a different person and you DO get better in many areas of your life. Science has repeatedly shown this. I guess it's more of a discussion than a question. When people say meditation doesn't make you better than others, I think it sometimes comes off as "it doesn't make you a better person than you were before you started practicing" which is false. It confuses the fact that it makes you as a person objectively "better" than who you were before if you compare the two people. It seems like people use this phrase to imply that meditation doesn't change you into someone else than you were before, someone who has improved or bettered themselves. This bugs me, because I feel like people use it as a way to cut you down when you're making personal progress, and if you're not watchful, it can infiltrate your practice. "I'm not better than anyone because I meditate" can easily turn into "meditation doesn't make me better period." If one sees meditation as mute, with no promise for betterment in whatever way you subjectively see that concept, why would you do it? In my experience, it robs me of the motivation to practice. I don't see anything wrong with desiring to meditate because it'll make you better in areas of your life where you want to grow. In the end, my gripe is less with self comparison and more with the connotations of phrases used in the mindfulness community and how it can negatively effect a practice. What do you guys think? [link] [comments] |
| Posted: 09 Mar 2020 01:26 PM PDT |
| You are subscribed to email updates from Meditation. To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. | Email delivery powered by Google |
| Google, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, United States | |
No comments:
Post a Comment