• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 3, 2020

    Yoga: What took me so long?

    Yoga: What took me so long?


    What took me so long?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 02:12 PM PST

    I'm 63 and I went to my first yoga class today after probably years of my daughter nudging me to go. And I feel AMAZING!

    I've had persistent lower back pain for a decade and after a single class I already feel looser, in less pain and significantly calmer. I don't know what took me so long to take the leap. Too old? Too overweight? Too inflexible? Too busy? It all seems so silly now.

    Anyone else feel this way?

    submitted by /u/MommaGuineaPig
    [link] [comments]

    Yogi at home

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 05:08 AM PST

    [Question] If a man comes to believe this power is his own he is a guide no more.

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 06:46 PM PST

    It's an old teaching about teaching and guides. The teaching says the teacher is suppose to be a servant of knowledge. He doesn't have any powers himself. He is simply a channel for the knowledge to be passed to others.

    If he comes to believe otherwise, that he is a great powerful person then he's blown it. Not a guide, simply arrogant or whatever.

    However there is another teaching. "The danger is that we might regard ourselves as enlightened because our mind suggests we are enlightened— another trap. Anything that the mind creates is a trap."

    Let's say person does believe he is simply a channel, believes he is a guide with no powers of his own. Does his belief that he is a guide create the same problem? The same trap?

    (The teachers always have a joke to go along with their teachings. Maybe trying to figure this out will hurt your head so much that you won't want to ever think again. The mind no longer creating traps. A sneaky way of teaching to solve the problem.😊)

    submitted by /u/mayuru
    [link] [comments]

    Does having a good quality mat matter if you use a yoga towel?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 07:14 PM PST

    Hi guys!

    I'm a newbie yogi, but have totally fallen in love with the practice. I typically do hot yoga - vinyasa and hatha mostly.

    I'm thinking of investing in a better quality mat - specifically the Lululemon 5mm réversible - but not sure if it's even worth buying if I typically use a towel (I'm a sweaty ass gal in class 😩). I've also heard of some people not even needing a towel using the lulu mat, but I don't trust myself to not sweat, slip and fall flat on my face in down dog lol.

    What do you guys think? What is your (hot) yoga setup?

    submitted by /u/Kxtreme16
    [link] [comments]

    Do you prefer hot or non-heated yoga?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 05:59 PM PST

    I've primarily done heated yoga for most of my practice. Which do you prefer and why?

    submitted by /u/lyfesaverblu3raz
    [link] [comments]

    How hard is it to sit in a position like this?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 02:03 PM PST

    Yoga-Based Approach to Strength Training

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 04:34 PM PST

    First off, I apologize if this post reads as scatterbrained. It might be an odd question...

    To give a little background I'm relatively new to "structured" yoga. Flexibility, mobility, and stretching have been a consistent part of my fitness routine for the last several years, but I've used it primarily as a compliment to bodyweight strength training and running/cycling. However, a few months ago, I sustained a nasty UCL elbow sprain while training. Fortunately, I didn't cause any permanent damage to the ligament, and was advised by my orthopedic physician that I'd recover in 6-8 weeks. I've allowed myself time to recover, but have not trained since.

    However, post-injury, I took the plunge and began attending a weekly hot yoga class. In addition to my own stretching routines, that one class per week has been instrumental to me both physically as I recover, but mentally as well. It's allowed me to reevaluate my goals in fitness and lifestyle, and refocus more on training for longevity. Specifically, movements with carryover to yoga, such as the handstand, are my main goals that I'm wishing to achieve.

    So, my question is, does anybody have any personal experience with taking a more "yoga" based approach to strength training, incorporating more handstands, arm balances, flow, etc? I realize that this type of training won't the same level of strength or hypertrophy as more "traditional" types of training (i.e. weightlifting, etc.).

    I know that r/bodyweightfitness has a plethora resources tangentially related to this topic, especially with skills-based training, but I wanted to get this community's experience and perspective as well.

    submitted by /u/hand_in_stand
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to learn fallen angel

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 08:04 PM PST

    So I've been doing yoga for many months now, and I want to learn fallen angel, but every time I get into position, I cannot even get my body up off the ground and almost face planted. What's a good first step in getting this position down?

    submitted by /u/SensitiveEase3
    [link] [comments]

    Today was a first.

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 07:53 PM PST

    Today I did my first yoga class. It was a 75 minute hot yoga class and it was probably the hardest thing I've ever done, but I plan to go back in two days. Besides hydrating, what are some tips to know? I felt defeated because there was some stuff I wasn't flexible enough/strong enough to do and I definitely overdressed (light joggers, sports bra, and a t shirt).

    submitted by /u/WelpIAmBackk
    [link] [comments]

    Not so restful “rest” pose

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 09:01 AM PST

    Hello! I'm new to this sub and new to yoga! I don't have very much experience with any physical practices and am not very athletic.

    I started taking some vinyasa classes at a local studio, and I'm really struggling with what seems to be a very common pose. To put it mildly, downward dog is the bane of my existence.

    I can't seem to find "rest" in the pose, and it's a bit frustrating. Instructors are always encouraging us "to rest" or "find rest" in downward dog. However, I find it to be the most challenging pose in all of the classes that I have taken.

    My arms are weak, my hamstring and hips are very tight, and I can barely hold the pose for longer than 3 seconds.

    Are there any variations or modifications I could be holding instead? Also, why in the world is this considered a "restful" pose?

    I appreciate any suggestions!

    submitted by /u/thesyruppysweet
    [link] [comments]

    Brand new yogi (27, M) with historic wrist and lower back problems. Will things get easier with time?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 12:42 PM PST

    As the title says, I have a history of shocking wrist and lower back issues. I was very overweight as a kid from when I was 10-17. Then, in my late teens and early twenties, I really got into weightlifting. Unfortunately, I was lifting heavier and heavier, but I did my wrists repeatedly because of poor form. I also had chronic back issues which flared up with squats.

    I'm now starting fresh in my late twenties. I've had quite some time off (a few months) and I'm starting again with yoga to build a strong base.

    Should I expect things to get easier with time? The exercises are tough now—even easy ones.

    I'm not in any pain, but sometimes I feel it a bit in my wrists. I've heard a lot of it's to with weight distribution, putting too much weight into my wrists instead of my fingers. Should I also expect my back to get better when I strengthen my core and loosen up my hips?

    submitted by /u/Snapchien
    [link] [comments]

    Quick business/liability question

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 11:06 AM PST

    I completed by 200 YTT training last May, but due to life and the conditions put forth by my yoga studio, I have yet to complete all requirements (like the 10hrs of observation or seva) and get my certificate. I plan to, but it's just not been a priority and I feel fully capable of leading a class of my friends.

    I have been asked by a friend to lead a short yoga/meditation for a group of teachers at a local school. I don't envision it being anything physically strenuous, will cater to chair/accessible yoga, and really focus on mindfulness and meditation per their request. This is volunteer/unpaid, and I'm happy to do it. I am not insured through a studio or Yoga Alliance at this time.

    My question: For something like this, would you recommend I have all participants sign a liability waiver? Is it completely inappropriate to take on this opportunity at all without insurance even though it will be super low effort?

    submitted by /u/radiyogi
    [link] [comments]

    to stretch Supraspinatus tendon what exercise is recommended?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 02:31 PM PST

    To increase blood flow to the tendon you can stretch the tendon – whats the guideline for stretching this tendon?

    submitted by /u/hungariandog
    [link] [comments]

    Yoga Festivals

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 08:42 AM PST

    Hello fellow yogis! A friend and I were going to try to go to Wanderlust Festival in New York this year so I'm super bummed they cancelled but totally get it! Just wondering if anyone here knows of any great yoga festivals? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/AdmirableTough
    [link] [comments]

    What style of Yoga is best whilst dealing with a shoulder impingement?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 07:28 AM PST

    I started to get shoulder pain and so stopped practicing for the entire month of February. I went back to yoga last night as I stopped feeling any pain in my shoulder and did a vinyasa class. I'm now feeling a lot of pain in my shoulder, even though I went really easy on myself during the class.

    Could anyone that has experienced something like this before provide some advise on what I should do.

    I don't want to stop yoga for another month but I know if I keep going it's just going to make my shoulder worsen. Is there a specific style of yoga that is better to practice whilst recovering from a shoulder injury?

    submitted by /u/liljonnythegod
    [link] [comments]

    Not noticing any negative effects now, but what are some signs I should watch for that I'm practicing too much?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 12:45 PM PST

    I currently practice 4 days a week (S/M/W/Sa) and 3 of those days (M/W/Sa) I do back to back classes that are at about an intermediate or so level (I take options to make the poses/transitions more difficult). I started doing back to back classes because the drive to my studio is kind of annoying and they discontinued their most advanced class so I figured if I couldn't challenge myself with difficulty then I'd do so with endurance.

    I've been doing this for a few months now and I think it has really improved my practice, my movements have more intention behind them and my breathing is very controlled because the knowledge that I have another class after gives me a lot of motivation to be efficient with my movements. Just the other day my instructor told us that they'd be doing another class after the Sunday one and I'm interested in doing it as well but I just want to be careful that I'm not pushing myself too hard.

    I haven't noticed any pain or soreness from my practice so far so I'm probably worrying about nothing, but have any of you had a negative experience with practicing too much? FWIW I'm 31 years old and in the 8-9 years that I've practiced yoga I've only hurt myself once (about 2 months earlier, ironically before class when I was practicing an inversion and got sloppy).

    submitted by /u/Zerole00
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone have links to HIGH QUALITY yoga videos that are 10 minutes or less that I can follow along to?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 10:16 AM PST

    Hey,

    I've been struggling to find some yoga videos that are short and sweet and most importantly, very high quality. I'm not necessarily talking about video, but I'm talking about clean, audio and thoroughly explaining things. I'm looking for things where they also time it out accordingly, like your 3-5 count for breathing.

    I'd love to find stuff that's easy to follow along so that I can listen with my eyes closed and not have to worry so much about watching to follow along. I'm good wothy form but I struggle with combination of breathing and function.

    The best one that I've found so far is yoga with Kassandra, her morning routine is a great example. I'd love to see if any other yogis have links to their favorite videos.

    submitted by /u/NotARealNameLolLol
    [link] [comments]

    Benefits of yoga?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 12:05 PM PST

    I'm working out a lot lately but i feel like something like yoga would help me out, i'm not a very flexible person but i was just wondering what the benefits are from yoga?

    since you know, there are a lot of other options out there and i wanna choose the right one

    submitted by /u/NoSlackingAllowed
    [link] [comments]

    Height difference in my legs

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 10:02 PM PST

    One of my femurs is about 1.5 inches shorter than the other. I teach and have a personal practice that accounts for the imbalance in most poses, but I'm always looking for new ideas

    Currently I use a wedge for some standing asanas and a chapter book for some standing and all poses built around table top. A big win was figuring out that I need to scoot my mini-leg's toes a bit forward in downward dog to get my hips at parallel height. One of my first teachers recommended assymetrical standing poses as the holy grail to my situation and others have told me that stopping my practice is the only option.

    Biggest frustration are transitions between poses in which the prop is useful (standing) to one on which it is not (sinking seat to chair pose).

    I'm open to any and all ideas, or personal accessibility stories with yoga ❤️

    submitted by /u/tabicat444
    [link] [comments]

    Wheel and knees

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 11:14 PM PST

    My right knee experienced excessive discomfort last time I did wheel, so I couldn't hold it. I've noticed this in the past to a lesser degree in both knees.

    I have a history of overuse and runners knee but nothing crazy that my PT doesn't think I can't address with better hip flexor mobility and glute strength.

    Wondering how I can adjust my form or practice other poses to get better at this?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/icecoldbrewsky
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment