Ashtanga yoga: Deep breath |
| Posted: 06 Aug 2020 11:46 PM PDT While I know it is important to remain focused on the breath in Ashtanga, I do find it hard to keep the breath constantly at the forefront of my mind. The number one "adjustment" our Mysore teacher gives is not a physical one, but verbal. I would hear him say ten or so times in class: "breathe deep", "deep breath" or "more breath". Now when I practice, it has helped me not to think "am I focusing on my breathing", but to be mindful of the nature of my breathing and periodically check it (eg, when going into the next asana). I find it a nice cue to check my breath "is it deep?", then if not, to slow it down again and physically expand my chest. When my breath becomes shallow and fast I usually find it is not because I am short on oxygen but because I am striving. Just wondering how others approach focusing on the breath in their practice? May be the above is not the ideal practice but I feel like it has been a big step forward for me. [link] [comments] |
| You are subscribed to email updates from ashtanga yoga. To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. | Email delivery powered by Google |
| Google, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, United States | |
No comments:
Post a Comment